lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
jrbubba
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 ezgo pds running slow

Hi, As the title says my 2005 ezgo is running slow. I recently replace the battery carrier as it had corroded, so the batteries and controller had to be removed. I replaced every-thing the way it was it goes slow in forward (normal speed in reverse). I have used the diagnostics of the pds controller and it does the 4 beeps for the freedom chip with no fault code, how-ever when the key is turned on and direction switch put in F or N it gives 3 - 2 beeps for a welded solenoid. So I replaced the solenoid same fault. Tested from Batt - to B+ side of solenoid got 38v then from Batt- to controller side of solenoid it was only 0.3v to 0.4v less(manual says 1 to 5) so replaced resistor still getting fault code and still only 0.3v to 0.4v drop. While the resistor was removed did diagnostic test again and got 4 beeps for freedom chip with no fault code even after key turned on and in F or R direction. So decided to give it a run (very short run) Speed was normal again. I have also replaced the FNR switch with same fault codes when resistor is in circuit. The next item to replace is the controller however here in OZ they are $900 (even form the US they are still $400+ with delivery) so I want to be sure the controller is faulty before outlaying that kind of cash and with it working without the resister in the circuit I'm not sure. Sorry for the length but I want to put in as much as I could. Thanks
jrbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2005 ezgo pds running slow

Sounds like you have a diode rather than a resistor across the solenoid contacts (Big terminals on solenoid). OR the Ohmic value of the resistor is far, far, far too low.
Verify the object connected across the big terminals on the solenoid is, in fact, a 250 Ohm 10W resistor.

Since the cart runs normally without the "resistor" installed, the controller isn't the problem.

FWIW - You can run the cart without the resistor for quite a while without harming it excessively. By allowing the filter capacitors in the controller to stay charged, the pre-charge resistor reduces arcing on the solenoid contacts when they close. Other than that it does nothing and without it, the only thing that happens is the solenoid contacts wear out sooner.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO