lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
BigDav
Not Yet Wild

Default Finished a few things tonight and need to do a few more. G9

I finished the clutch kit tonight as well as a new plug, K&N w/ pre-filter, new jet in the carb, changed motor oil to Amsoil 10w 30 and change transmission to Amsoil gear oil.

My air box and air filter was nasty. I doubt if it has ever been changed. The filter will fall apart if you touch it. Do I need to take the carb off and clean it or is there any other option? Is there any fuel treatment or additive that would help? The cart has always started and ran fine (just never had any power) but the plug I replaced was extremely black. I don't see how it was firing with that much build up.
I am going to remove the fuel tank tomorrow (if I'm able) and drain out everything. Tom (from CPP) told me to just remove the paper from the stock filter and put an in-line fuel filter on it for easier future filter changes. Is there any particular filter brand, part number, or size I need to get?

Other than a motor swap, is there any other mods that you guys would suggest I look into?
Should I bypass the governor or just leave the 10mm nut cranked all the way down?
Will I gain much doing the bypass?
If I do the bypass what tach would you guys suggest?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.
Thanks again,
David
BigDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Go ahead and pull the carb, remove the bowl, and clean it really good with carb. cleaner. Be extremely careful when you reinstall the carb. Snug the two 10 mm nuts only. It is very very easy to break the spacer between the carb. and the intake.

I agree with Tom on removing the paper from the stock filter and installing an inline. Just use the Fram inline filter like goes on a G16.

If you swap any fuel lines, be sure to go back with the exact same size: 5/16 and 1/4. Yamaha's are picky about this.

I completely bypass the governor on all my Yamaha's and hook the main throttle cable directly to the carb. Just be sure to adjust it so the carb. throttle completely opens and especially completely closes when you let off the pedal.
spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
BigDav
Not Yet Wild

I removed the bowl last night when I replaced the jet. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and put it back on. Is there any thing else I should do to the carb?
Do you have a Fram part number for the fuel filter? Does it mater if I use a different filter or will that change anything?
Would you suggest I change the fuel lines?
Thanks again,
David
Old 05-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

You shouldn't have to do anything else to the carb. if you cleaned it really good. Only replace the fuel lines if they need it: cracked or dry rotted. Your fuel filter can be picked up at Auto Zone or Oreilly's for about $1.99. I would use one like or close to that on a G16. I don't have the part number but most of the time they are hanging up in the back of the store near the oil filters.
spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
BigDav
Not Yet Wild

I am off to the parts store, hopefully for the last time.
What tach would you suggest and where is a good place to get it from? I think I am going to do the governor bypass when I get back.
Thanks for all your help.
David
Old 05-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

I say get urethane hoses... that my next mod w/ a k & N filter
4x4 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
BigDav
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 CC
I say get urethane hoses... that my next mod w/ a k & N filter
What benefit would I get with the urethane hoses? Are you talking about just for the fuel line or for everything? If everything what would I need to replace?

Thanks
David
Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

Just the gas lines... Just because my lines have warn down and pieces have gotten in my carb...
4x4 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
AirXtreme
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have the same cart G9 and youra sounded like how mine was. I tightened up the governor and it made some difference but once I installed the ATV tires I noticed much more top end speed. Tomorrow I am doing the power kit, main jet, K&N, Stainless steering column and trailer hitch.

Was it hard to get at the main jet?
AirXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
BigDav
Not Yet Wild

The jet is easy to change. Remove the nut (10mm if I remember correctly) on the bottom of the carb fuel bowl. you will see the jet sticking out of the side of the carb after you have the bowl removed. Be sure to clean the bowl really well before you put it back together.
Do you have a service manual? Mine was a big help when working on mine. If you need help or have any more questions just ask. I am not an expert but there are guys on here that have the answers.

David
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha