lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
ripper
Not Yet Wild

Default Running lil bit hot tonight

So i reached down betweeen my legs and eased the seat back. LOL. wait, this is not a van halen thread! my problem is this: i am new on this forum and have been reading and learning lots of stuff, great site btw! i have a 2006 stock ez-go pds with 500 amp ge controller, i noticed the motor was running very hot after i replaced with 2 guage wiring after a 15 mile cruise. I now have a 600 amp all trax controller with 2 guage wiring and a stock pds motor... Just came back from a 20 minute full throttle cruise and motor was extremely hot, you could fry eggs on that bad boy. i pulled over because i smelled electrical burn, thats when i checked it and it was super hot. Limped back home and put it away. any recommendations for a new motor upgrade that could handle high speed with lots of amp? would that fix my issue?
ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Running lil bit hot tonight

Welcome to posting side of BGW

As you saw feeding more amps to the stock motor just made it hotter... You need a custom motor like the PQ Assassin. Give Robbie or Rickie a call and see what they have for your cart. Are you running on flat terrain or hills?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I'm no guru on carts but sounds like controller is doing its job but motor can't handle it. Thus excess heat at motor. Put a motor that can handle those amps.
If your controller is programmable you may be able to "cut" it down to maximize controller/motor combo.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
ripper
Not Yet Wild

I am lifted and running on 23's...The cart seemed to get hotter when I added 2 guage cables from you Scotty, I thought it would help run cooler? Maybe I just started checking motor then. We would run wide open 20-21 for 18 miles or so( flat roads by the beach in florida) and be ok, never smelt hot like last night. Would a better motor run cooler? Would I still be able to hall A-- without worrying all the time about heat issues? Any thoughts on an EMP, or D&d motor, I know plumquick is sponsor and all but maybe could get better deal on one of those?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
ripper
Not Yet Wild

Oh yeah btw, I upped to 48 volts and changed controller to Alltrax, so cart was gettin the JUICE! Was on 36 volts before when goin on long wide open cruises around 20-21, now 25-26 mph last night but with hizzzooottt motor
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 2g cables and the 500a control allowed the motor to draw more amperage. 500 is not recommended for a stock motor... 23s are big. Running 15 -20 miles without a chance to cool is more than the cart was designed for.

I suggest you start calling motor companies and ask what they suggest...
Tell them you have 23s and rear seat and 20 miles runs on a 48v PDS system. I am curious who suggests what
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
ripper
Not Yet Wild

Perhaps I will get cart shop down the road from me to convert to series, when I get new motor....I have good components and nice looking cart just motor probs....Not sure which company to go with yet...plum, ge, d&d, emp....dang cart, should have left it how i bought it...Addictions hurt the whole family.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Running lil bit hot tonight

My 2004 PDS cart has 17" wheels which are a tad bigger than 23" tires with stock 300amp controller with a PQ motor. It runs all day at Myrtle Beach SC without problems. This is at 24MPH 6 miles each way to the OLC and back.

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
ripper
Not Yet Wild

Andy which plum quick motor? bandit? assassin? hmmm. Mine would prolly run 30's with 600 amp alltrax, 48 volts, 2 guage. I wonder if I could drive to favorite surf break 10 miles full throttle without heat issues? Are u getting hot at all?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Running lil bit hot tonight

Mine is just a plain bandit painted to match cart!
After a 12 mile ride it's warm but not hot. I have rode it all day like this.

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO