lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
G man
Not Yet Wild

Default 36 to 48 conversion

I have a 93 36v resistor style cc.
Have been looking into the conversion for quite a while.
The entire cart is upgraded to 4ga cables.
and would go with 8 6v with a HD 48v solenoid.
i have a medium sized 36/48 volt motor thats rated at 3.5 hp on 36v and 4.7 on 48v. But my concern is the other components holding up to the upgrade.
i have finely adjusted the wiper arm perfectly on full throttle.
and have bypassed the resistor board completely when full throttle, wired directly to the motor. But is there any way to beef up the the v glide to handle 48v? and am thinking of adding additional resistors to help disperse the additional heat. The FNR switch is new but questioning it on 48 volts,any possible way to beef the FNR also?
Thanks in advance for the help.
G man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 36 to 48 conversion

Do not try adding more resistors to existing board as you will only slow flow more and waste more power through heat loss. By switching to small resistors on back of V glide unit ( was about $50.00 plus wiring ) as used on later model carts and adding a ALLTRAX or CURTIS solid state controller ( $300-$400 ) you can eliminate the power wasteful resistor board completly. You will have some stumble in speed change range but again it will operate like later model V glide units with solid state controller. If you feel that you can do some metal fabrication you should replace V glide with Curtis PB6 pedal speed control to have a smooth flow of power through complete pedal range.
Unless you are going to be climbing mountains or putting huge tires on your F&R switch should give you good life. If you really feel you want to upgrade a kit used to be available for HD parts for F&R, check with our sponsors.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW !!!
As Mec said, your current speed control system will not handle the heat. You can try running 48v but you must run wide open throttle or coast to avoid a meltdown..... not very practical?
A Curtis PB-6 potentiometer would replace the V-glide and a solid state controller instead of the resistor coils...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
cat boat racer
Getting Wild

Club Car

G-man,
You came to the right place for info., This board talked me thru a resistor to solid state conversion a year and a half ago. And even with daily neighborhood use Ive not had one problem at all ! The conversion is worth every penny spent IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart.jpg (81.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 010.jpg (56.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 008.jpg (66.7 KB, 47 views)
cat boat racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cat Boat Racer while looking at your pictures I noticed that you had a different style of Throttle control and wonder where it came from and what brand it is? Looks similiar to Curtis PB6 but different than what I have used.
Also wonder how hard the conversion was as there are so many empty liquier bottles it seems as it must have been a rough conversion for you??? JUST KIDDING.
NICE JOB ON LINKAGE AND BASE.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
cat boat racer
Getting Wild

Club Car

The throttle is from Cartzone, It was way cheaper than the Curtis PB-6, I think its a cheap Chinese peice. But it is exactly the same 0-5k. The conversion was easy thanks to BGW (scottyb and a few others). The harder part was going through DMV to make it street legal !!! But we did go through a few drinks during. Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart 020.jpg (62.1 KB, 12 views)
cat boat racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cat Boat Racer Thanks for info on throttle control.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
G man
Not Yet Wild

Man.
Thanks everyone for the advice. i really appreciate it.
The thing is i know that the old resistor style isnt very efficient when using the resistors. but i just cant get myself to part with the setup. and here's why. The overall range of my cart, since im rarely not full throttle can only be described a ridiculous. My cart gets ridden every day,for long durations of time, and by the end of the ride it still has more than enough juice to make the trip two more times. For example the other day my friend and i were riding around for quite some time and the cart lost one bar, over a distance of 23.6 miles.
so before charging i checked the voltages on the batteries, since its common for digital meters to be inaccurate. All of the batteries read between 6.25-6.30 volts. So dang...i really don't want to have to worry about melting down 20 miles away from my house. can anyone tell me what kind of amp draw resistor styles have at full throttle? or what amp controller would be about equivalent? and if it would have better or worse performance on power and distance? Im sorry for the lengthy post. i just wanted to let you know where im coming from.
Thanks guys.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

How a resistor cart works:
The application will differ from cart to cart but the theory is the same .... key switch powers the micros at the F&R. The micro activates the solenoid which brings power to the speed wiper board assembly. The speed wiper selects a cable depending upon peddle position. Each of these cables runs to a different speed resistor . Each resistor has a graduated resistance value which regulates how much amperage is allowed to flow to the motor ...the motor goes faster the more amperage it is allowed to draw. THe down side is that the resistor cart draws the same full power from the battery pack to go full speed as it does to go 1/8 speed.... the difference in amperage is WASTED(burned off) by the resistor coils

Modern carts use solid state speed control. These controllers only draw as many amps as you ask for with the peddle.... If you push the peddle down 10% they deliver 10% of their capacity. I say their capacity because a controller is like a gate valve (or a hose bib) to the amperage stored in the batteries... We have different size controllers(valves) available so 10% of a 400 amp is less than 10% of a 650 amp controller. Amperage = Torque.
The solid state controller does not waste any amps and this increases the run time.Hope this helps?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
G man
Not Yet Wild

Thats correct.
But do your know how many amps a resistor style cart pull from the batteries at full throttle? i would imagine that it pulls a relatively low amount, while it varies with controllers. The high amp draw kills the distance. so if i can get the relatively same amp draw from a controller as i do from my resistors i can keep my range and upgrade to 48v.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car