lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

Default Columbia Car Par gas won't climb hills

Picked up a used Car Par. Engine seems to run good but won't climb hills. Acts as if it's in high gear. Seems someone has disabled a governor as it quick on flat ground but no power up inclines or in reverse. I've noticed a cable coming off the top of engine that goes through a plate by clutch but is attached to nothing. Any ideas
Mjd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Default Re: Columbia Car Par gas won't climb hills

What year is the cart?

Usually reverse has more power than forwards. Check the timing. Also check the compression.

No need for the governor. They done you a favor by removing it. Got a picture.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

Not sure of the year haven't figured out vin numbers thinking its a 90. Compression is 100lbs. Is the cable that is attached to nothing that goes through the plate or bracket the governor? Don't know how to check timing thinking ok as it seems to run good on flat ground
Old 06-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

Will get a pic tomorrow
Old 06-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

What is the VIN number?

You have the 2 stroke, right?

Really I don't know what your talking about without a pic. Some years are different. If you have a throttle and choke cable that is all you need. Any extra cables could be for the governor or oil injection pump.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

Sorry I meant serial number. Yes it is 2 stroke. I'll get pic tomorrow
Old 06-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

That cable to the plate was the governor. Those worked by restricting the primary clutch. You may want to take that whole governor plate off and see what you have. Unless the cable is attached its not doing anything anyway.

Jack the cart up, rev the engine and make sure the secondary clutch is opening and closing as it should. The secondary is the one attached to the rear end. Sounds like yours isn't functioning right
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #8
Mjd08
Not Yet Wild

OK I will try to locate and verify. Thank you.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:35 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

To be a bit more specific, your cart has two clutches; the primary which is connected to the back of the engine and the secondary which is connected to the rear axle. The primary clutch should collapse when the cart is revving causing the belt to move towards the outer edge of that clutch. The secondary should expand when revving causing the belt to move towards the center of that clutch. Give those clutches a looksie and see if they are both operating right. It's been my experience that the primary clutches on these carts are pretty durable and don't fail much. The secondaries do.

Your compression is perfect so there are no concerns there. If the cart is running good on the flat then things with the engine should be ok. You are losing torque somewhere though. I would start with the clutches.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I agree with Lochlin, I think he nailed it. sounds like clutch or belt problem. Maybe both.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar