lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
mgm1986
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v Troubleshooting and Diagnostics

Hello experts, I am working on an unknown year Marathon 36v cart with a series motor. I was gifted the cart and it was in non running condition.

At this point, since it was left in the weather, I have:

New solenoid
New potentiometer
Replaced the Curtis controller 1204-009 with a 1204m-4201

Batteries full charge reading at 38v. Dated 11/2018.

Motor tested with 12v battery, spins freely/smoothly.

When I press the go pedal the solenoid clicks but the motor does not spin.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? The only thing I think left is the FNR switch but that appears to be okay in that the solenoid is clicking.

Maybe this ebay Curtis controller wasn't programmed properly or isn't working? It was supposed to be programmed to 0-5k by the seller.

Any tips before I toss $400 of parts in the trash and buy an Alltrax controller?
mgm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 36v Troubleshooting and Diagnostics

"The solenoid clicks" only indicates the micro switches on the F&R work, does not show if the high amperage contacts in the F&R are good or not.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
mgm1986
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
"The solenoid clicks" only indicates the micro switches on the F&R work, does not show if the high amperage contacts in the F&R are good or not.
Oh that makes sense. Is it possible to jump the contacts to test before replacing the switch?
Old 09-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
mgm1986
Not Yet Wild

The FNR tested good for continuity as outlined in another thread, for both forward and reverse. The microswitches both tested good for continuity as well.

I am leaning more and more towards the new controller from Ebay. When checking voltage at the controller, it remains at full battery voltage (38v) regardless of how far I press on the go pedal. If I understand correctly, this seems to indicate the controller isn't responding like it should.

Any wiring differences I may have overlooked on the new controller?

Old model was a 1204-009
New model is a 1204m-4201

My research before buying this controller led me to believe this would be a viable replacement if programmed for my cart. The seller claims they programmed it to match my 0-5k ohm pot box. They didn't ask for any other details.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Have you check ALL connections (that you have not replaced) on this thing? If it has been sitting out in weather, I would undo every connection, clean and reconnect before I started spending big money on replacing controllers. Even if they look OK, I'd put a wrench on them. Takes time, but worth saving $400 or more. Be careful with motor connections, need 2 wrenches on them or you will be buying a new motor too.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #6
mgm1986
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Have you check ALL connections (that you have not replaced) on this thing? If it has been sitting out in weather, I would undo every connection, clean and reconnect before I started spending big money on replacing controllers. Even if they look OK, I'd put a wrench on them. Takes time, but worth saving $400 or more. Be careful with motor connections, need 2 wrenches on them or you will be buying a new motor too.
Yes, great question. I went through each and cleaned them up when I got the cart. I am leaning towards the Alltrax controller but I am waiting for the seller on Ebay to get back to me before I do anything further.

After looking at the Curtis 1204m manual it seems this is a direct replacement for my burnt up Curtis 1204 just programmable and with a couple extra terminals that don't need to be used.

Does anyone know if there would be wiring differences between the 1204 and 1204m?
Old 09-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Have you gone thru everything...look at this thread from ScottyB, very informative. You may want to do these checks before you start throwing money at it... https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=20729
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
mgm1986
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Have you gone thru everything...look at this thread from ScottyB, very informative. You may want to do these checks before you start throwing money at it... https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=20729
I will absolutely go through these checks before I go any further. Many thanks to you and ScottyB!
Old 09-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
daleebz
Not Yet Wild

Hi experts. I have 2008 club car that I upgraded control to 400amp. It is 36v. Everything was going good for couple months then I parked it the other night and next morning didn't work. I ordered new solenoid and replaced the old one because I didn't hear click. I took the resistors off of old solenoid but for some dumb reason I decided not to put them on the new solenoid. Well the cart worked for the whole night. We rode it around for a half hour or so then parked it. The next morning didn't work but I do hear the clicking from the solenoid. So were should I go from here? Did a ruin new solenoid?
daleebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #10
mgm1986
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Okay, I checked voltage per the thread mentioned.

Battery pack voltage is 38.55
Battery side of solenoid is 38.55
Controller side of solenoid is 31.5
When I press the throttle I get full voltage through the solenoid.

So I have a seven volt drop which seems to indicate a bad resistor. I did replace the solenoid but that didn't come with a new resistor so I used the old one.

Would this bad resistor cause a completely dead cart?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO