lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
jrdnduvall
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Club Car Precedent Brakes

I think I may have a brake dragging on my 2004 Precedent cart. There is a bolt on the bottom back side of the brakes. Is this used to adjust them?
The reason I think it is a brake dragging is when I first drive it it makes a hissing sound. But after a few minutes it goes away. Could it be anything else?
jrdnduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Precedent Brakes

Newer Club Car brakes are self adjusting, you have to remove the brake drum to readjust them.
Most likely, if the hissing goes away shortly after driving it, it may be a good possibility the shoes aren't returning to their seats right away,
It sounds like a good cleaning and lubing the bosses (spots where the shoes touch the backing plate) might be in order!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
kvl1027
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Newer Club Car brakes are self adjusting, you have to remove the brake drum to readjust them.
Most likely, if the hissing goes away shortly after driving it, it may be a good possibility the shoes aren't returning to their seats right away,
It sounds like a good cleaning and lubing the bosses (spots where the shoes touch the backing plate) might be in order!

Ok, so I have my Precedent almost completely disassembled and would like to check/service the breaks, but I dont really know where to start. There is a lot of breakdust and it looks pretty nasty in there, but what should I be checking for? What is the best lubricant?
kvl1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
ArmyVetSgtAdkins
Philippians 4:13

Club Car

First I would use some brake cleaner and clean everything up real well then you can lube everything up
ArmyVetSgtAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
O2BNTEXAS
Not Yet Wild

Good afternoon all...I'm new to the group.

2004 Precedent, 48v system...lots of golf and miles put on it in it around my neighborhood.

First, let me say I'm hard of hearing. I was golfing with a friend who said my cart was making a loud, metal on metal grinding noise from the passenger rear side. I assumed it was either the brakes...which I have never changed or maybe a barring.

I jacked it up and have attempted to remove the hub. Hub will not come off. I don't see anything holding it in place. Is there a release mechanism or something I'm missing...or should the hub just slide right off?

Also, is a break-job within reason or should I take it to the cart repair guy.

Thanks in advance for any help...
O2BNTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
just for fun51
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Make sure you don't have the brake set.....
just for fun51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
O2BNTEXAS
Not Yet Wild

Parking brake is off for sure and all 4 wheels are off the ground, cart is up on jacks. Rear wheels turn freely when accelerator is depressed and I can hear the grinding when next to the wheel hub. Brakes for sure...
O2BNTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #8
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Make sure the parking brake is off first. Then if the drum will not pull off, you can try hitting the drum with a hammer from behind. Starting tapping it all around ( from behind). IT is very possible , if they have been scarping for awhile, that the shoes have cut a groove into the inside of the drum, and the shoes are actually riding inside the groove, so it won't pull off.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car