lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #1
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Exclamation Marathon needs a new rear

Hi all,

I have an issue here. I have a 1986.5 - 1987 marathon. This cart used a different rear end than other carts. I bought a new motor and controller that I can't even use currently.

I was told to buy a 1988 or newer rear end. However I have a few concerns ad questions I need help with.

1) my motor is a Admiral MOT-B1 (19 tooth) and it was purchased for use on the marathon. Since I need a new rear end my question is... Do all the 1988 and newer rear ends use the same bolt pattern so this motor will direct bolt on???

2) will any 1988 or newer rear end be able to be used. I've seen pictures and noticed that the mounting brackets on the txt rear ends are different than the marathon's. My concern is that the leaf springs and shocks will not bolt up to the new rear end correctly.
Mnemonic Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon needs a new rear

Ok.... Whelp, I suppose I'll just have to get a TXT rear and cut the mounts off and weld on new ones.... Ugh.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:21 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What are you asking?

Are you saying that you have a 1986 cart that needs a 1988 & up rear end?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:11 AM   #4
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

My 1986.5-1987 marathon uses the split transaxle style rear end. This means none of the newer motors (aftermarket) bolt up to it. I have another post where I was told I needed to either remain stock or buy a 1988 and up rear end / transaxle so new motors will bolt up to it.

I am asking if anyone knows if a 1995 to present rear end will have the same mounting bracket locations as the 1986 marathon frame would have.

Mainly the brake lines, rear shocks and leaf pack. If the dimensions of the "new" mounting points are off then the older 1986 frame would not be compatible with any 1995 - present (TXT) rear ends as I was told.

Some one some where must have put a modern motor on a marathon so I'm wondering ... How?

(Yes I've seen pictures of the newer rear end and the brackets ARE different, however, a different appearance doesn't necessarily mean different mounting location.)
Old 03-04-2021, 01:35 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Are you saying your car CURRENTLY has a 1986.5 - 1987 rear and that year range is different from all others?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO