lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #41
Ezgo4202
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery info

The heavy duty 6v just says 975CCA and the golf cart battery says 200AH capacity.
Ezgo4202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #42
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgo4202 View Post
The heavy duty 6v just says 975CCA and the golf cart battery says 200AH capacity.
The battery with the 975CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating is a SLI (Starter - Lights - Ignition) type battery and is deigned to produce a very high number of Amps over a short period of time and immediately be recharged. Physically, it has a large number of thin plates to provide the surface area needed to produce the high amperage.

The on with the 200AH rating is a deep-cycle battery. It is designed to provide a more modest number of amps over a long period of time and be recharged after use. Physically, it has fewer plates that are thicker than the plates found in SLI batteries.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #43
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So according to Crown my 50% SOC is 48.5v. That being said when should you measure the reading? While driving? After stopping? After resting 5 minutes?
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #44
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandyturbo View Post
So according to Crown my 50% SOC is 48.5v. That being said when should you measure the reading? While driving? After stopping? After resting 5 minutes?
For estimating SoC, the batteries need to be At-Rest. That is about 12 hours after the charger shuts off, or about 1 hour after the cart stops moving.

The batteries acquire a surface charge while charging that contains almost no stored energy and must be bled off via self discharge to get an accurate SoC estimate. The opposite is true when amps are drawn from the battery, but voltage recovery is quicker than self discharge, so only about an hour is needed.

When out and about and wanting to know when to head back to the charger, I use 10 or 15 minutes of rest time, knowing the SoC will be underestimated by about 4% or 2% respectively. With 5 minutes of rest the error will by about 5% low, or so.

Attached is a recovery time chart I made for some old Trojan T-105 batteries. Recover time for Crown batteries will be different.

Here's a SoC chart for Crown lead-acid, wet-cell, deep-cycle batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage Increase after load.jpg (100.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Crown SoC chart.jpg (208.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #45
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Gotcha. The reason I was asking my SOC meter was reading 55% but after coming to a stop and checking the voltage it was still 50 volts.
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #46
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandyturbo View Post
Gotcha. The reason I was asking my SOC meter was reading 55% but after coming to a stop and checking the voltage it was still 50 volts.
Battery voltage drops when amps are being drawn and the greater the number of amps, the greater the voltage drop and the amp draw fluctuates all over the p[lace while drive a cart, and in turn, so does the pack voltage. SoC meters are heavily dampened so they don't fluctuate like a digital VU meter on an audio system, but their readings still aren't very reliable.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #47
hmholt
Not Yet Wild

Great information. Thanks for sharing
hmholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #48
Chartrunner
Not Yet Wild

Read through all the posts.....a lot of great info for someone new to the golf cart world. Thanks for the info!
Chartrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #49
2Goat
Not Yet Wild

Great info on batt's, especially the charts!
2Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #50
wingfoot64
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This thread is a big help to us golf cart newbies!
wingfoot64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO