Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
RideSolo
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Ridesolo's '68 HD Utilicar

Greetings all. A few years ago an older guy I know told me about the Harley golf cart he had gotten and asked if I'd help him find some parts. I was somewhat familiar w/ the things because a step-son was using one on his farm but when I went to see it I was surprised to see that it had a steel flat bed body rather than a 'glass golf body. I did a little quickie research and didn't find much info. I found him an oversize piston/ring set and got him in contact w/ a guy who bores cylinders and other motorcycle/small engine machining work. and then all but forgot about it. The guy has an amazing shop and all kinds of mechanical experience but he lost interest in it and it's been sitting since. He told me the other day that he wanted to sell it... BUT would give it to me if i want it because he likes the kind of work I do on projects. How could I say no? My last project, a '75 Honda w/ Kawasaki forks and swing arm, Yamaha rear set foot pegs, Suzuki pistons (and the list goes on) was finally completed and sold to finance the BMW I've wanted for years. We aren't going to be snowbirds this year because of the virus so a new project is just what I need. Besides, I've been keeping eyes open for a cart for a while now because Mrs thinks it would be great for making trips to the city compost pile and giving the dog rides around town. So after some more extensive research I determined that it's a '68 Utilicar and, though a genuine basket case, seems to be a pretty worthy project. Here it is in the back of my truck on it's way to my shop:

And a few more of it as it sits at the moment:

It ain't pretty and at the moment I don't have any of the front bodywork pieces. I don't know if he'll be able to get them for me or not but there's a guy I''ve found on Craigslist who's not too far from here and has several HDs to part out. What I'd REALLY like to find, though is one of the cab body fronts with the windshield.

So, there it is, I'll try and post up as things progress.
RideSolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration