lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Default Basic Wiring

I'm a bit rusty when it comes to making a wiring harness from scratch. I am getting ready to wire up my 27hp Kawasaki engine. I have a wiring diagram for the engine and understand most of it. But for all the other electrical accessories I don't know where to start. There will be the typical engine gauges, electric radiator fan, front and rear lights, etc. What's the basic rule of thumb to go by for sparking this stuff up? Should there be a fuse box grounded to the frame and then run all of this stuff to that? The workhorse has a fuse panel on it so maybe I can use that.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
caddymankc
WILD

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Basic Wiring

dont mess with factory wiring if you can,just wire it up with inline fuses and use toggle switches
caddymankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

I'm working on it.

But not really. I need help.

Last edited by Xtreme Cartz; 08-28-2007 at 09:45 PM..
Old 08-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

I'd get a acc. fuse block and wire it completly different to the motor. For the motor, go to napa, buy a standard key switch for a mower or something. The buy a solenoid with 3-4 poles, depending on the wiring diagram. My briggs has a 3 pole one. Use the diagrams for the switch and the motor to wire it..
4x4 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Thanks for the info. So basically just get my lazy a$$ away from the computer and start studying the wiring diagram.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Car53WhereRU
Getting Wild

Club Car

Wiring lights, fans and other accessories in your buggie is not that difficult if you keep several things in mind. Keep everything neat and orderly. This will make your wiring trouble free. The best place to start is with a fuse block. This should be securely mounted to the frame but is not "grounded" to it. Mount it as close as possible to the battery and connect it with a short length of 10 gauge wire (the lead from the battery positive to the fuse block is not fused and thus should be kept as short as you can). Auto Zone and Advance both carry a 4 place block (ATO type fuse) for about $6.00 and two or more can be stacked together if needed. Avoid the older "glass tube" type of fuse. Use wire that is sufficient in size for the device connected. 14 gauge wire should be adequate for most of your needs. Use marine grade switches to reduce problems. Ground each item back to the frame (OK on a GAS cart, NOT on a electric) and protect your wiring with split plastic loom also available at the auto parts store. In addition to keeping your wiring protected from damage it will make the job look neat. Tie it all up using wire ties against the frame and be extra careful when passing through metal panels (grommets). If you need a wiring diagram PM me and let me know what is to be added, I may be able to help. Check the photos of my buggie in the members rides section for ideas on wiring. Good luck, Car53
Car53WhereRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Thanks thats a lot of great info!!
I'll work on it this weekend and let you know how it goes.
The wiring diagram calls for a 4 post key switch but before I got the manual I bought universal keyswitch with only 3 posts. Should I look for one with 4?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

You probably could use the 3 post and a toggle, but I'd find a 4 post...
4x4 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!