lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default ME29 transaxle info

Hi guys.. I've been looking for a transaxle with reverse for my 1990 EZGO Marathon for a year and I think I finally found one. The tag says it's an Model ME29. I've done various searches here and elsewhere and I'm not finding a lot of ME29 info so I'm hoping you guys can tell me what year(s) and EZGO models it was installed in. The price was low enough that I bought it without knowing for sure if it would work. Got it home and it looks like all I need to do is fab some brackets for the engine cradle and the rest will bolt right up. It even has the coil spring mounts on it. Here's a couple pics.

army is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: ME29 transaxle info

Thats identical to the trans in my GXT-804. I believe it has 1 inch axles. Basically the same as most others as far as internals but I think its a tad wider. You'll just have to FAB up some brackets. The coil spring lift I bought for mine wouldn't work because the shock mounts were different. Might look into that. Supposed to have been the same lift as a workhorse but the lift MFG didn't know what he was talking about
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Measure across the bolt-holes on the 2 brackets ahead of the axle-tubes,and compare it to the measurement on the axle in the cart.It should bolt right in.The coil/shock brackets are easily cut-off and moved if necessary.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good info. Thanks. Haven't done any measuring yet, other than checking the width where the swing arm bolts on the brackets on each end of the axle. 25.5" for both rear ends so that dimension is good. I'm happy I found what I needed but like I said it took a year. One of my hobbies is I like working on vintage John Deere garden tractors and I can find whatever I need fairly quickly. I also have a C3 Vette and a 50 Ford pickup and parts for them are easy as pie to locate too. Not used to beating the bushes as hard as I had to find the 4 stroke rear end.

I know you guys are visually orientated so I posted a pic of the cart. It has a new 13 HP Honda clone in it but I'm seriously thinking about using that engine for something else and picking up a 20 HP V twin. The cart also has a new drive clutch/belt, new seats, a new plastic nose piece (I was surprised to find one) and some other goodies like wheels/tires and a nicer looking steering wheel (not installed yet). I'll be taking the cart completely apart for sand blasting and paint in a month or so when better weather comes along. That's my favorite part of a build.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm confused.You have a clone in it,so unless it was a 2-cycle cart(no reverse)then the axle you bought should be identical to whats' in the cart.Or is there a problem with your current axle?The axle you bought fits late-style Marathon 4-cycle(89-94).
Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I need to correct myself. I THINK Its a tad wider than a standard TXT 4 stroke axle. It might even be narrower but there is a difference somewhere between the 2. I THINK the ones we have have larger 1" axles.

Heres some info.

ezgo rear differential

4 stroke ezgo rear end gears

And some eye candy. I sold this last year sometime. Hated to see it go.

Bead blasted transaxle case

Rear transaxle ezgo

Ezgo transaxle gears

ezgo transmission gears

ez go transmission gears

e-z-go transmission gears

ezgo diff

e-z-go diff

Made my own tubes from D.O.M. tubing. These were machined from 2.25" A513 - type 5 DOM steel tubing.

ezgo axle tubes

ezgo axle flange

E-Z-GO diff axle

ezgo rear axle rebuild

ezgo rear differential rebuild

ezgo differential rebuild
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Nice job on the tubes!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It was a 2 stroke cart which is why I needed a transaxle with reverse. It didn't have an engine when I bought it. It looked pretty odd with the spring and brackets attached to it but I thought the governor mechanism was the shifter. Obviously I didn't know much about carts when I bought it and I have a lot to learn yet.

Definitely a nice job on the axle tubes and the bead blasting turned out spiffy too. I love blasting old parts. I have a decent pressure blaster and a good sized compressor but for bigger jobs I use my father's 40 hp triple cylinder rig. We don't do sand recovery but we get it for $2 a bag wholesale so it's fairly economical.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I installed the rear end today. Bolted up easy as pie. The shifter mechanism is going to be a project in itself though. I also need to get a driven clutch. I'm looking at one on eBay (item # 260903780423). It's for a 1991 and up EZGO. Does anyone know how I'd figure out of it has the correct spline size or are all the EZGO's from that era the same?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
natew121
Gone Wild

I'm Doing the exact same project you just curious if you eve figured out the shifting setup.??
natew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!