lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question 1983 EZGO Marathon Resistor Cart - Which Solenoid?

Serial No. 299370, Manufacturer Code H2283

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. I have a 1983 EZGO Marathon Resistor Cart that won't go. I've done the solenoid jumper test and the wheels spin, so I know for sure I need a new solenoid. I have been to a few websites and it seems like there several different solenoids that would fit my application. www.ezgo.com has a 36V Solenoid for #124 Series, 1986 and up (not sure if this will work). www.buggiesunlimited.com has three different 36V Solenoids with different prices for 1968 and up EZGOs. I'm not looking for anything Heavy Duty, just want to get the cart running again, prefferedly with an OEM part. So my question is...

Which solenoid is the correct replacement for a 1983 Marathon?

I've attached side and top pics of my current solenoid. The only markings on the solenoid I can see are "10-96" and "89.36V". Not sure if that helps. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2474.jpg (103.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2471.jpg (110.8 KB, 13 views)
turblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 EZGO Marathon Resistor Cart - Which Solenoid?

One more test before you buy a replacement
Jumping (or bypassing) the solenoid only takes the solenoid out of the circuit... it tells you if the problem is at the solenoid but, a problem with the solenoid activation circuit will give the same results..... read that again

The solenoid activation circuit is on the 2 small posts. It takes a pos. and a neg. at the 2 small terminals to activate the solenoid.... so check that out before you click 'buy now' ...might be your solenoid is okay but, just not getting activated... if so check the micro switches and the rest of the activation circuit.

You can get away with a WR #70 Series copper contacts OEM#27855-G01
List is about $26
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply scottyb.

The original issue: key on, F/R in gear and pedal down with no movement and constant clicking from the solenoid. I verified pack voltage across the two large posts on the solenoid before pedal down and about 18V after pedal down. From what I have researched, there should be little to no voltage across the solenoid once it's been activated. Both of the micro switches tested good. In an effort to isolate the activation circuit, I removed the F/R micro switch screws but left the wires attached. That way the activation circuit is complete even with the F/R selector in neutral.

Testing with the new setup: key on, F/R in neutral and pedal down with no movement, but a single click (activation) from the solenoid. Also, testing for voltage I got pack voltage all along the circuit to activate the solenoid. It's only when power tries to go across the solenoid (large posts) to the motor that the connection is lost. I did the "6V to the motor" test just in case and the motor is fine.

I will note that in order to get the wheels spinning with the jumper on the solenoid, I had to have the charger plugged in and charging (42V). My pack voltage is about 33V right now, which I know is a problem and I need new batteries, but I want to ensure the cart is able to run before I make the investment.

I am going to go ahead and order the solenoid. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

UPDATE:

I bought a new #70 series short housing solenoid from buggiesunlimited.com for $28 shipped and it is an exact match. Got it installed and still no movement. Knowing that a couple of batteries were low, I put in two 6v batteries to test and ensure I had over 36v pack voltage and it worked like charm. I am now a believer... replace low batteries before you start trouble shooting...everytime. Just an update for anyone with similar symptoms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2485.jpg (89.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2487.jpg (81.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks for bringing this up to date...... always check pack voltage 1st.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO