lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Help....I need a new clutch for a 1984 Club Car

I need a new clutch for a 1984 Club Car and everyone I find (Salisbury brand) is over $700.00. Is there a more affordable replacement for the OEM clutch? What one should I use and what is the shaft style I need? Thanks in advance!!!
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Help....I need a new clutch for a 1984 Club Car

front or rear clutch?.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

The club car clutch from 92-96 will work fine. You might need a different starter belt but at $249 I think you'll have some cash for a starter belt. LOL
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am sorry for not being clear. I need the drive clutch (the one mounted to the motor), not the torque converter or driven clutch. I am looking for the make and model of the modern replacement for the old Salisbury clutch.
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

A nice conversion is the 88-91 clutch on that motor, will run very smooth. and still not 700 bucks.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
mortimer
Getting Wild

I was going to post this yesterday but didn't have the time to look. I had the same problem searching for one for my '86. I sent numerous emails to dealers and suppliers trying to get one. Finally I got this email from a dealer. Kind of long but informative.

"Gas golf cars employ two clutches; a drive clutch on in the engine crankshaft (pulley halves, or sheaves, move together has the engine spins faster) and a driven clutch mounted onto the input shaft of transmission (these sheaves are forced apart as the belt tightens). The two clutches must be a matched pair for proper operation. The clutches are linked together by the drive belt.

Club Car brought out their first gas golf car in 1984 with a Kawasaki 4-stroke engine, called the 341cc side valve engine and it originally used a small Salisbury clutch system. By small I mean they had a small diameter and they used a long skinny belt. The system worked OK on flat ground but it couldn't pull up a hill very well (we are in the mountains of NW North Carolina). Sometime thereafter (the parts manual says 1988 thru 1991) Club Car changed over to larger diameter clutches and many of the original smaller clutches got changed under warranty. The larger clutches also had a thicker drive belt and the system worked much better, esp on hills.

In 1992 Club Car changed from the 341cc side valve engine to the FE290 (290cc, 9hp) Kawasaki overhead valve power plant. Looking thru Club Car Parts Manuals that we have here for reference many of the clutch parts from 88 were still used up until at least 2004. In particular the fixed pulley of the drive clutch that bolts onto the crankshaft proper remained the same from 1988 thru at least 1996. The drive clutch is neutral as far as the engine rotation goes, it is the driven unit that is sensitive to engine rotation because it is torsionally spring loaded.

Some CarryAll utility vehicles did have some different flyweights and certain part numbers changed. I know they went thru a variety of main springs for the driven clutches. By and large the clutch parts stayed pretty much the same even past 1996. It was the first week of 1997 when the engine rotation changed from CCW to CW, as viewed from the passenger side of the engine. Obviously some things had to change when that happened but, again, for the most part, individual components that would work stayed the same.

I would not recommend the 84 thru 87 clutches, esp if you are in hilly terrain. Or you have the early model smaller driven unit with the skinny drive belt. If you have the fat drive belt and the newer driven unit you can go with a 88 up drive clutch. It went by several different part numbers because the starter generator pulley was later included so that created a new number and utility vehicles would have had different numbers due to different flyweights. The Club Car part number would be 1016378-02 for the drive clutch, 1016360-01 for the driven and 1016203 for the belt. This is all out of a 1996 Club Car golf car parts book which I cross referenced going back thru 1984."

And after he mailed this to me, about a week and a half went by before he mailed me a link to that auction site where there was a Comet 500 series. 302391A it says on the assembly paper it came with. Nobody bidded on it but me and it was $100. Works great. Wish I had saved his name and dealer location. I have a huge list of those already from the net and nearby. Keep a good eye on those auctions.

Hope it helps. Good luck!
mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I would not recommend the 84 thru 87 clutches, esp if you are in hilly terrain. Or you have the early model smaller driven unit with the skinny drive belt. If you have the fat drive belt and the newer driven unit you can go with a 88 up drive clutch.
My below image shows the issue when you put an 84-87 drive clutch into an 88-up cart. The drive and driven clutch centerlines don't match. My clutch isn't one of the early "skinny belt" models (it takes the same belt as my original) but you can see there's still an alignment issue.

So in reference to the above comment, I would say that the flip side of my issue would be that an 88-up drive clutch will most likely not line up with an 84-87 driven clutch.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I have swapped out my 84-87 drive clutch for the 88-up clutch so I now have an 84-87 drive clutch I'm willing to part with. Message me if interested.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #9
edr
Not Yet Wild

I'm looking to replace the clutches on my 86 club car because it no longer pulls hills. Can someone tell me what is the best set up for my year cart that wont break the bank. And are they easy to swap out.
edr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by edr View Post
I'm looking to replace the clutches on my 86 club car because it no longer pulls hills. Can someone tell me what is the best set up for my year cart that wont break the bank. And are they easy to swap out.
I would order clutches for a 1988-1996 gas Club Car. They'll fit your '86 same as stock.

You need a special tool to remove that old Salsbury drive clutch (the one on the motor). I made one using parts from the hardware store:

To remove the driven clutch, in theory all you have to do is remove the center bolt and slide the driven clutch off the shaft. However in practice this doesn't always work out. Hope you have more luck than I did:

When you do get that driven clutch off...be sure to put Nevr-Seize on the input shaft in case you ever need to take it off again!

As far as putting the new clutches on, no special tools are required, just slide the new clutches onto the shafts and bolt them into place (I use an impact gun to get them tight, but don't over-do it).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car