lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2022, 06:09 PM   #1
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Default Lithium terminals too hot too touch

l have four new lithium 12V batteries in my 2010 Yamaha G29 The Drive. I've just replaced the controller and took it for a run today up some hills. When I got home I touched the terminals and some were FAR too hot to touch.

I have no issues with resistance. All connections are clean and tight. I've had this issue before with melting terminals but blamed it on resistance at the time.

Anyone with lithium batteries... can you advise if they get that hot?
TXGolfer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Lithium terminals too hot too touch

NO they should not get hot! Make sure that your cable ends are properly sized for the terminal connections and very clean. I have had Lithium in both of my G29's for 6 and 2 years and terminals don't get more than luke warm. By the way, I hate the 12V Lithiums. Not the best since each has a separate BMS and you have to charge them in series.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

I think it's just the battery brand. They just don't seem designed to output at the level required without working hard enough to burn. All the connections are brand new. Cables are brand new. It's maddening as I just spent 2K on them.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Most of the opinion here is that the 12V batteries are not right for our golf cart application. I still would be surprised if the hot terminals are normal. If so, then the terminal connections of those batteries are way undersized for the current draw of a golf cart.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:57 PM   #5
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
NO they should not get hot! Make sure that your cable ends are properly sized for the terminal connections and very clean. I have had Lithium in both of my G29's for 6 and 2 years and terminals don't get more than luke warm. By the way, I hate the 12V Lithiums. Not the best since each has a separate BMS and you have to charge them in series.
Can you share with me what batteries you use please?
Old 06-24-2022, 08:00 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I myself have used batteries from Nissan Leaf cars in my two carts. I am not recommending this unless you also know how to build a BMS and get the proper charger. There are some good options out there for drop ins. One I am familiar with is the RoyPow 105 AH battery. There are others here that have had good success with other options. You need a battery that can handle 100 amps continuous and 300 plus amps peak.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:10 PM   #7
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I myself have used batteries from Nissan Leaf cars in my two carts. I am not recommending this unless you also know how to build a BMS and get the proper charger. There are some good options out there for drop ins. One I am familiar with is the RoyPow 105 AH battery. There are others here that have had good success with other options. You need a battery that can handle 100 amps continuous and 300 plus amps peak.
Okay, that's good to know. I was unaware of those requirements. Now.... I just updated to 600 amp controller Should I swap that down to 400?
Old 06-24-2022, 08:35 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

No. A 600 amp controller can handle 600 amps but it won't pull 600 amps unless you have a very unique load on it. I think you can program the max current - at least I can with my Alltrax controllers. I would set it at a max of 300 amps. My cart pulls about 70 amps at 25mph - less at more reasonable speeds. Mine spikes to about 300 amps under very aggressive acceleration. You need to check the specs of your batteries and stay within their limitations.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:52 PM   #9
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
No. A 600 amp controller can handle 600 amps but it won't pull 600 amps unless you have a very unique load on it. I think you can program the max current - at least I can with my Alltrax controllers. I would set it at a max of 300 amps. My cart pulls about 70 amps at 25mph - less at more reasonable speeds. Mine spikes to about 300 amps under very aggressive acceleration. You need to check the specs of your batteries and stay within their limitations.
I also have the Alltrax programmable controller. These are my batteries. I don't know what to set the amps at?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37378415083...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
Old 06-24-2022, 09:59 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Read the specs there. It says 200 Amps for less than 3 seconds. Hard to call those "golf cart" batteries.

Tags
batteries, heat, lithium, melt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha