lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
Michealmyers
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery question for a newbie

Bought a 2011 precedent 48volt and the batteries seem to run down pretty quick. It’s got us batteries that are a few years old. I just cleaned a little corrosion off the terminals today so that might help some but I bet I’m looking at having to get some replacements soon.

What’s everyone recommend? Don’t wanna spend a whole lot on it
Michealmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Battery question for a newbie

US, Trojan and Crown's are all top tier batteries. Interstate, Duracell and some others are 2nd tier. Shop for bang for your buck.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
Michealmyers
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I thought us were pretty good, sux that these don’t seem to be lasting long. I read about the epson salt deal to rejuvenate them, is that worth trying?
Old 12-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #4
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Short answer: No.

worth the read: Yes.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170984
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:30 PM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have US Batteries and have a lot of success with a Save-a-battery maintainer (https://www.jbtools.com/save-a-batte...ainer-48v-50w/).

For the sake of $99 you can give it a try and I think it will extend your life a bit (it has a pulse charge that helps break up sulfation). The maintainer is still good for the new batteries when you get them. After each use I put the CC charger on, then when that's finished I hook up the Save-a-Battery until the next use of the cart.

My batteries are 4 years old and today, AFTER I finished 18 holes of golf, the batteries still showed 50.8V which is pretty good.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealmyers View Post
Yeah I thought us were pretty good, sux that these don’t seem to be lasting long. I read about the epson salt deal to rejuvenate them, is that worth trying?
Epsom doesn’t work nearly as well as baking soda, flushing them out real well with a hose once they quit puking up chunks, and then fresh acid. I had much better results on the 3 I did that with vs the epsom batteries. The epsom batteries were all about .3-.4 volts less than the 3 with fresh acid. I retreated the epsom batts and brought them up to par with the other 3 for a fairly solid pack.

Was it like new? No. But it did successfully bring a completely destroyed pack to a usable condition. I can get 3-4 miles out of it before they’re dead on pavement. Less in snow and grass LOL. Which in itself I’d call a success. But capacity is diminished due to being used up and toast. But for a nearly 8 year old pack... not bad.

If I were to do it again I’d skip the epsom.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
Michealmyers
Not Yet Wild

So how exactly do you do the baking soda deal?
Old 12-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Click the link wakko provided above for more details.

Not saying it will make anything any better. Might help. But for $25 for a jug of acid and a couple bucks for baking soda, I don’t think you’re going to hurt anything. Just make sure to rinse them out really well after the baking soda.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car