lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
sonnyk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Manual for 87 Marathon????

I just got an 87 gas ezgo marathon and want to get a repair manual. I see some for sale for bug bucks, but was wondering if there is a pdf version available for free? This is my first golf cart, and I'm not familiar with some of the equipment. Thanks for any help.
sonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Manual for 87 Marathon????

This is the manual that I use for my 87. The only difference that I have found is that ours has a neutral safety micro switch in the FnR switch.
It's connected in series with the pedal switch, and the key switch.

The earlier models have just the reverse buzzer switch, and nothing else.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
sonnyk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great! Thanks Cart around. I'll check it out.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
sonnyk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cart around... I just made a quick overview of the manual and it will come it real handy, even for just familiarizing to the cart.
I did notice another difference from what I find on my cart. The manual shows a horizontal choke shaft on the carburetor, but my carb has a vertical choke shaft. So, I'll have to verify which carb I have before ordering parts or making any float adjustments, etc. It has a lot of gunk built up and I haven't given it a thorough cleaning yet. It's running ok right now though. After start up on a cold morning, it will only idle for a couple minutes before pedal movement brings any increase of RPM. But that's minor.
Thanks Again!!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The vertical choke is on a bv-24 carburetor. They only came on the 88 cart. They also had the exhaust pipe entering the top of the muffler. Post some pics, let's see what you have.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
sonnyk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, just saw your message. I'll have to wait and get a pic tomorrow. (and try to figure out how to post it. Shouldn't be too hard.)
That's kind of weird though, because by the mfg. code number it is an 87, at least according to what I read about how to decipher the year of mfg. I'll be the first to admit that I got it wrong somehow though. What I have written down is H7687. I'll double check and take a pic tomorrow. Thanks for the info Cart around.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Somebody could have thrown an 88 carb on there, or you could have gotten really lucky, and have a late 87 with the 88 carb, and exhaust.

The exhaust is what will tell the story. Hopefully, the muffler entrance is through the top. The 88 setup takes you from 9 to 11 horsepower.

Below the reply box, click on go advanced. Then click on the paperclip. A box will appear allowing you to upload 5 photos.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
sonnyk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, here are some pics. You can see a brand new universal choke cable. The old one was broken when I got it.
If it as you say, a late 88, where would I find the engine data plate? That should tell the story on whether it is the 11 hp version.
From the little that I've been reading, this should be the older 2PG engine and it should have the vertical muffler. I might be remembering wrong, but I thought they went to the 3PG in 89, and it has a horizontal muffler.
I'm just jumping into this cart thing, so there's a lot I don't know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3190359.JPG (80.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P3190360.JPG (80.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P3190364.JPG (77.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Your tag is an 87. Your muffler, and carburetor are 88. Get rid of the governor, and automatic oiler.

Yours is a 2pg. with the good high performance parts. Those 2 parts are the only difference from the earlier models. A 3pg is way different.

I'm going to bed. Will be up around 4.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
sonnyk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey thanks cart around for all the good info. I don't want to be a pest, with a lot of newbee questions, but I want to be as knowledgeable as I can be.
Yeah, I was going to get rid of the governor anyway. Just curious, does the oil injection system have a habit of failing? That is bad news for the engine when that happens. I never have completely trusted it on any 2 stroke. So, what is the fuel/oil ratio to use on these? I've read somewhere only to use ezgo oil, but that is surely just marketing talk, to sell their oil.
So this higher horsepower version of 2PG has the different carb and different muffler. Do those two parts account for the increased power? No internal engine parts or adjustments?
Many thanks for the help. It is obvious that you've been doing this for a while. BTW, I like your tag line... I've heard it said that there are mechanics, and then there are parts changers. That's an expensive way to troubleshoot! I prefer to be counted in the first group myself.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO