lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
brackin
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO - No Solenoid Click from Accelerator Pedal

Hey Folks - New to Forum

I have an EZGO TXT. It does not have a R/T switch so I assume it's a PDS (6-pin connector at controller).

It's a no go.

Symptoms = Day 1: Drove for a long-day, then hesitation upon acceleration. Charged batteries and everything was fine.
Day 2: Drove for a long day, hesitation, then no go. Charged batteries and STILL NO GO.

Tested thus far:
Batteries at 37+ volts (all batteries at 6+).
Solenoid clicks when key switch is ON.
Solenoid clicks when F/R is switched back and forth.
NO solenoid click when accelerator pressed.
Traced solenoid activation circuit and have 37+ at ALL appropriate points.
Solenoid gets warm when key switch is ON.

I've ruled out (I think) the key switch and the micro switches.

Not sure which direction to head for further testing:
Solenoid
ITS
Controller
Motor

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Brackin
brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
brackin
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO - No Solenoid Click from Accelerator Pedal

Perhaps I need to provide more information? I'm sure someone here has encountered the same problem. I've searched the forum, but haven't found a solution.

Any input is appreciated :)
Old 10-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Something is still goofy with the microswitches (should not be clicking 'till pedal pressed, pedal microswitch is bad/bent/adjusted wrong). Dont think thats your biggest problem tho, cart has been running. Does the pack voltage drop when pedal is pressed?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
brackin
Not Yet Wild

There is no change in voltage when pedal is pressed. How much change would I be looking for? Multiple volts or fractions of a volt?

Another thing worth noting is this: With the key switch ON, and the F/R switch in either position, the solenoid clicks AND I find pack voltage on both of the big terminals (that is, without the pedal pressed). It seems that WITHOUT the pedal pressed, I should only find voltage on the "input" side - is this a correct understanding?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The solenoid should not click until the pedal is pressed. I would suspect the micro switch in the pedal box as suggested in post #4. Normally when the pedal is not pressed you will measure voltage on both big solenoid terminals because there is a resistor across those two terminals to keep the controller charged. The smaller terminals should have voltage across both with out the pedal pressed and one side low when the pedal pressed and it clicks. As it is now with the solenoid apparently energized, one of the small terminals should read low or no voltage and the other full voltage 36 volts. The voltage drop on the big terminals should drop maybe a fraction or a volt or so when working properly when the pedal is pressed and cart motor draws current. A golf cart is confusing the first time you look into why it don't operate. Never try to guess what might be the problem with a golf cart. You have another problem too if cart is not moving when pedal is depressed if the solenoid is energized.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
brackin
Not Yet Wild

Your analysis of voltages on my solenoid is correct - low/no voltage on one of the small terminals, and 36+ on the other small terminal. However, I'm confused about a microswitch in the pedal box. All I have is an ITS (black and white wires attached) and two other wires (red and green) that are jumpered together (this is the way I found it) - no microswitch. That's probably why the solenoid is energized without the pedal pressed? The cart has been serviced at a reputable shop over the years - perhaps this is a mod they did?

I can put a MS in the pedal box again (if needed), but MS aside (and assuming that the solenoid is working properly) what are my next steps for tracing the "no go" problem?

Thanks folks!
Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Let's start from scratch and identify the type drive system you have.
You say no R/T switch and there is a 6 pin connector on top of controller.
That is a series drive.

---------
With the pedal switch bypassed (eliminated), the solenoid will click when the key is ON and the direction selector lever is in either the F or R position.

The Pedal switch issue ought to be fixed for safety reasons, but cart ought to run.

-------------
37V is a bit low (38.2V is fully charged), but cart ought to move.

-------------
Since the solenoid is clicking, the problem in is the high current circuit.

Connect your DVM between the B- and M- terminals on the controller.
After the solenoid has clicked (Key ON and direction selected)m but peadal not pushed, you should have full battery pack voltage (37V ?) between B- and M-.

If not, attached is a schematic of a series drive with the high current circuit highlighted. (F/R is shown in F)
Find and fix the open.

If you do have full battery pack voltage between B- and M-, slowly press the pedal to the floor and the voltage ought to smoothly decrease to zero.

If not, either ITS circuit or controller is bad and further troubleshooting is needed to tell which one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- No A2 -Hi-Current traced.JPG (57.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
brackin
Not Yet Wild

I suppose the title of this thread should be changed to:

"Solenoid Activated*, but No-Go...Next Troubleshooting Steps"

:)
Old 10-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
brackin
Not Yet Wild

I'll take these steps and get back shortly. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
brackin
Not Yet Wild

So here's what I found:

First, batteries are now fully charged 38.5-ish.

After the solenoid has clicked (Key ON and direction selected) but pedal NOT pushed, I have full pack voltage. When I push the pedal, voltage does NOT smoothly decrease to zero (as hoped).

So, I guess we've narrowed it down to the ITS or Controller.

Where do we go from here?

Thanks folks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO