lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Goat53
Gone Wild

Default upgrade???

I have a stock ezgo 92 model , the batteries are going bad ans will soon need replacing , what would be involved in going to 8 volt batteries , would the current 'good' controller need to go or would it hold ,, not really interested in speed but am interested in pulling power , pulling trailer , cars , stretching fence ,,ect .
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: upgrade???

The controller and the solenoid would have to be upgraded to matching voltage You would see a significant increase in torque and speed....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
Goat53
Gone Wild

I figured as much and with all the txt , rmb ,acy and what to H... else thare is out there for ezgo ,That I know nothing about , I may as well stick with 36 , thanks for the heads up .
Old 11-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Don't give up so easy. The batteries you gotta buy anyway. There is not much of a price difference there... Price out some controllers and solenoids. Remember to get get a controller for a series ezgo....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat53 View Post
I have a stock ezgo 92 model , the batteries are going bad ans will soon need replacing , what would be involved in going to 8 volt batteries , would the current 'good' controller need to go or would it hold ,, not really interested in speed but am interested in pulling power , pulling trailer , cars , stretching fence ,,ect .

The original controller would have to go.
You will need a 48 volt charger. There is no way around this. You can't use the 36 volt charger and a 12 together to charge the 8 volt batteries.

If you bought 8 six volt batteries you could use the original 36 volt and a seperate 12 volt. The plus to doing it this way is runtime. You will increase the runtime by about 20-30% plus the added speed and torque from the extra 12 volts.

You "might" get by with the original solenoid.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Goat53
Gone Wild

Everyone warns against 12 volt 'car ' batteries , but how about the deep cycle marine batteries the one I use for my trolling motor has 340 cold cranking amps . that is about = to 4 car batteries . Has anyone tried to use the Marine batteries or are they still less than golf cart batteries .
Old 11-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat53 View Post
Everyone warns against 12 volt 'car ' batteries , but how about the deep cycle marine batteries the one I use for my trolling motor has 340 cold cranking amps . that is about = to 4 car batteries . Has anyone tried to use the Marine batteries or are they still less than golf cart batteries .
Marine batteries are a hybrid battery, they are not a true deep cycle battery. Hybrid means its a cross between a starting battery and a true deep cycle. Marine batteries DO NOT have the capacity of a golf cart battery.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!