lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

Default Taylor Dunn Diesel Build

well I started my project. Its going to be a slow moving project but ill update as I make progress

My master plan is to install this Yanmar 3 cyl diesel sitting in the corner of my garage, and have my drive system to be hydraulic. also want to have a piston powered dump body.

I cant really think of any other way to power the cart besides hydraulic, the rear end is already chain driven from the electric motor. im building for a farm/yard truck and im only looking for 20 mph max. (if you have ever ridden in a TD you know why)

I know im going to have some clearance issues, I may have some space between the bed and cab for the motor.

I am by far not a hydraulic expert, so i'm definitely going to need some help when it comes down to that part.

also looking for places to purchase stuff like universal radiators and coolant tanks,

here are some pics.

Perfectly good running TD

finding a lot of rot. stripping all the rotted panels, and welding in some new frame pieces in a couple of spots

davekayse62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Taylor Dunn Diesel Build

Old 02-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
dragos28
Gone Wild

Is it possible to connect some sort of a transmission to that engine instead of going the hydraulic route?
dragos28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

i never herd of or seen anything that would work
Old 02-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
ttcfan4476
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Very cool I have a friend that took a wrecked John Deere zero turn and used the orbital motors and pump and stuff to make a 6 wheeler work.

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Tapatalk 2
ttcfan4476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Slamminsam
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

cramblit and i have a diesel. its the 10 single cylinder air cooled ones though. this will be a cool build. i have run farm equipment with hydrostatics, this will be cool.
keep us posted.
Slamminsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

Interesting build, not sure if you'll get 20mph out of it with out a HUGE and EXPENSIVE pump though. You're going to need high volume to and some big wheel motors. Any idea where you might source them? It will be able to pull a train though with that Yanmar diesel!
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetbu View Post
Interesting build, not sure if you'll get 20mph out of it with out a HUGE and EXPENSIVE pump though. You're going to need high volume to and some big wheel motors. Any idea where you might source them? It will be able to pull a train though with that Yanmar diesel!
yea when it comes to getting the hydraulic set up im alittle lost, but I haven't even found the chain gear ratio yet so I have no idea what to get for a drive motor.

when the cart was working, I only got 8 mph out of it, so if I can get 15 I would even be stoked.

I was possibly considering swapping out the ford 9 in. for maybe some sort of a hydrostatic lawnmower rear end but I plan on putting a lot a weight in the cart when I use it for logging and such so I don't really want to do that.

If anybody needs TD electrical parts just pm me , they all worked when I took them out.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

A hydro rear end from a mower might get you 5-6mph and thats it, plus it would break really quick, they just arent meant for that. The engine will have more than enough power, it's a matter of getting it to the ground. Anyway to face the engine aiming towards the rear end and make up a clutch with no transmission? basically direct drive with a clutch in between.
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetbu View Post
A hydro rear end from a mower might get you 5-6mph and thats it, plus it would break really quick, they just arent meant for that. The engine will have more than enough power, it's a matter of getting it to the ground. Anyway to face the engine aiming towards the rear end and make up a clutch with no transmission? basically direct drive with a clutch in between.
I can mount it front to back but id have to look for a clutch/ tranny set up, not even shure where to look.

come to find out a cousin of mine is a hydraulic expert and im going to have him come over and see if its worth going the hydo route. its going to take me some time to get the rot all fixed up and to media blast everything first
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps