lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Default Re: Fixing up a 1974 Harley Davidson Golf Cart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/columbia-parcars/

try this its has all you need to know! el means electric cart and gs means gas. also look at the wiring schmatics closley and compair, there are like 3 for each year. one has extra stuff, some are basic. if you have questions, feel free to ask.. but if you got power at one side of the solioniod, you need a exciter wire to send the power throw to the other side. let us know if we got to sit in front of the map and ask you if you have power at certin places with certian colors.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I have the wiring diagram/manual. I just went ahead and ordered a new solenoid switch off of vintage auto parts. The old one was really rusty anyways. The cart does have an overload circuit breaker. It comes of the first post on the right if your looking at the solenoid. Same post that the postive cable goes to from the battery. Right now I have a 10 amp fuse in there. I've been having a problem figuring out the proper amps for the fuse. I'm a hands on learner not so much research or reading. Here's some pics of what I'm talking about. First is the solenoid and the second is of the cicuit breaker. Or should I say what I belive is the circuit breaker according to the wiring diagram. Last is just the fuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid.jpg (17.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg circuit breaker.jpg (10.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg fuse.jpg (11.3 KB, 0 views)
jomcguire18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thanks for the link should come in handy. You posted that while I was typing I'm slow haha
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I believe the sequence of events at start up are:
Gas pedal depression closes micro switch under drivers floor
Micro switch excites solenoid
Solenoid transfers 12 volts to Forward/Reverse switch
Forward/Reverse switch transfers power to Starter Generator.

Check all your connections and most importantly the grounds.

Other forum members please correct me as necessary.

Good Luck
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thanks for the tip!!! I believe I have the right wiring diagram and I am following all the wires currently to make sure they match up with what the diagram shows. I'll check all the connections and grounds also while doing that. The emergency bypass is the only fuse I see on the whole thing. I'm using a 10amp that is not see through or glass. Should it be a glass see through one? Also Is there a fuse for the ignigtion circuit breaker? I can't find one. Like I stated before I don't have much mechianical knowledge besides 35mm projectors so I might sound dumb from time to time haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuse.jpg (11.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

What are now circuit breakers were once fuses.
They both do the same job; protect the circuit.
If the 10 amp fuse has continuity when tested with an ohm meter, then there should be no need to change it.
Again,
Good Luck
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #17
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

i know i put a 15 amp cb in mine when i found it acting stupid. i did use a cb that plugs in to a fuse folder you can get at any truck dealer. like the old fords ran, or even kenworths have. freightliners use the maxi fuse style same as sterling.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #18
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Hey guys,
Just wanted to give an update on my progress this weekend. I am still wailting on the solenoid to come in. I have taken of the two fenders to sand down and paint them. I grinded down the floor boards to rid of all the rust. I then went ahead and primed and finshed the metal after all rust was gone. BTW 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of the gloss finish all were rust proof is that good enough? Still plan on reinforcing the floor with some other metal befoe putting down a mat or something. I also went ahead and changed
and cleaned up all the electrical connection to ensure that they wouldn't be an issue. Hopeing that part comes in and I can see it start!!! Again thanks for all the tips I went ahead bought an assorment of fuses to be safe HAHA

Here are some pics also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor rusty.jpg (111.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg floor complete.jpg (190.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg done floor.jpg (202.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #19
racin161
Gone Wild

Welcome to BGW Your cart is coming together great and seems as though your on the right track except for (one) problem I may have caught. THE SOLENOID and automotive solenoid will work but only for a short period as it's not a continuous duty solenoid which is required.An automotive solenoid is a on/off type switch where as a cart solenoid is fully engaged at all times when the peddle is depressed, Don't want to be a bearer of bad news but just trying to keep you on track. Enjoy your build

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Wow I sure hope not!!! I looked up the part in the service manual. I purchasehed part #71470-87 and was told it was the same as the service manual part #71470-63D. Is that right? Thanks for the support and any future tips.

Tags
harley davidson, harley davidson golf cart, harley/columbia
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson