lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Fixing up a 1974 Harley Davidson Golf Cart

Hello Everyone,
I recently aquired a 1974 Harley Davidson golf cart. I am going to need to fix it up. I have almost no mechanical knowledge but lots of free time. I've been told it has started within a year. The previous owner rebuilt the carb earlier this year. My biggiest worry is the wiring since the ignition has been taking out and only 2 wires and the choke remain there. I've sanded down the body and need a tip on some good primer and paint. I've recieved the service manual from a memeber on this site(Thanks). I am looking for any tips or tricks. Also anyone who might want to just shoot the **** about these golf carts. Here are some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart 2.jpg (10.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart.jpg (12.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart3.jpg (11.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (7.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg frame info.jpg (13.8 KB, 0 views)
jomcguire18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Fixing up a 1974 Harley Davidson Golf Cart

Hi,
Today I went ahead and ripped up the floormats to discover the floor under them was really rusty. On the passanager side it actual rusted completly through(onlt about the size of a half dollar). The drivers side is sturdy but still pretty rusty. I was just going to grind or sand down the rust to raw metal and put some rustolem paint on there. Anybody have and easier or better way? I also purchased an ignition switch today from a lawn care company. It is for a snow blower but I believe it should work. It just basically has two post on the back and just completes the circut. I think that should work right? Well thanks for reading and for any tips givin!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Strawhead
Future World Dictator

Columbia

Looks good,Keep us informed on your project.
We love pix!
Not sure about that switch working but give it a shot!
Strawhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

as strwa said, not sure about the switch at some point harley used the switch to change directions...fwd and reverse, no t just like the 67 and 69 i play with now that were simple keyed switches. get a parts break down of the 74 and verify it doesnt have the direction switch key switch.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

ok from what i can tell in the manuall real quickly this was a change in 1975. so that should be ok for you....lets hope!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thanks for checking for me. The forward and reverse is controlled by a lever on the floor(so I've been told). I recieved new air filter, fuel filter, spark plug and spark plug wire today. Goning to be replacing those a little later. Also gonna work on zip tying the choke cord down properly. Are zip ties good enough and any specific point of contact on the frame I should use?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb.jpg (13.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg floor boards.jpg (11.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

use black ones or if you use color make sure there uv resistant. if there not uv restant, they will crack and get weeak and fall off.
look at the frame and ares the wires are, they should hgave metal clamps to hold them. if not make sure your wire is in wire loom or snake skin, kit will protect just fine
Old 10-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

There are 3 metal clamps on it so i should be good. I have some nice thick black ties also. Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

So yestarday I was able to get the choke and trottle cable attached to the carb. They appear to be working correctly. I Also attached the igition switch and got a new battery. I replaced all the filters and spark plug to be safe. I am having a problem wit the selenoid now. Doesn't seem to be letting a current run through it. Im thinking I might just need a new one but don't know enough to know if it should let current run through it. Posted a pic but its just temporary til I can make it look better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plate.jpg (10.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

is the circuit breaker good? check to see if you have a circuit breaker under the upper shock rail. if it is getting power it should send power up front to the micro switch under the gas pedal as i recall. i guess before you get to deep too, do you have a wire schmeatic/manual for this cart. i think it might help you chase this little bug!
if you dont have one, i can send the link again for your cart.

Tags
harley davidson, harley davidson golf cart, harley/columbia
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson