lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
beckfrompeck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 ez go has spark, no turn over even with ether.

im new to the buggie/cart world. im a diy guy cause in the end i want to know what was the problem in the beginning. i found a project 1988 ez go gas rig last year. two days of cleaning fuel lines and it was running. it didnt have drive belt so put that on and cruised it for about twenty minutes then never got back to it. last week i tore into it again with cleaning and rebuilding all fuel components. vaccumed the fuel pump and it holds. get spark but when i put ether in chamber spark doesnt ignite it at all. is this an ignition coil problem? too weak of spark? battery is fully charged and im only getting spark between both electrodes on plug when held to grnd. ive read that you should have a 1/4" to 1/2" gap sparking from ground source, is this correct? also are these **** things supposed to go into nuetral, because i cannot move my cart without it running.

thanks, travis
beckfrompeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 ez go has spark, no turn over even with ether.

The 88 doesn't have a neutral (although there is a "N" position on the shifter, which actually is a holdover from the electric models) - the engine runs backwards to give you reverse, or forward for forward.

That said, unless it's RUNNING, you'll likely go nowhere at all, so let's tackle THAT problem first, LOL (welcome to the forum, BTW) ...

First, let's look at the 2 things you need to run, namely fuel and spark. If you're getting spark at the plug when held to ground, that's a good start. Put the plug back in (hooked up of course), choke the carb fully, and turn it over for about 30-40 seconds. Now, pull the plug - is it wet? If so, we'll start chasing a weak spark issue, timing, etc, if it's dry, then we'll go through the standard 2PG troubleshooting.

Try that and get back with the result(s), OK?

Dale
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
beckfrompeck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks dale for the nuetral answer lol. it will be tomorrow when ill be able to check that. question about "turn over engine then check plug". is the generator supposed to turn over with ignition on, gas pedal depressed, i turn ignition on, solenoid clicks when depressing pedal, spark, but nothing else happens. all electrical systems show life up to generator(with the engagement of solenoid) should my generator be tested to ensure the spark plug wet test?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
beckfrompeck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

also, dale, im only sparking when the solenoid clicks or (not and) when i let off gas pedal
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OK, just to make sure I'm following you, when you turn the key on and depress the pedal, the solenoid clicks and you get a single spark, then when you release the pedal you get another single spark, but at no time does the starter/generator engage and turn over the motor?

If that's the case, first, you want to pull ALL your heavy-gauge (battery-cable sized) connections one at a time and thoroughly clean them, a wire brush and some contact cleaner will come in handy here. Pay special attention to the ground wires from battery to frame, as well as frame to engine (common spots for losing ground and getting your symptom) then give it a shot again. It also won't hure to spray inside your F/R switch while turning the lever back and forth to ensure there's no crud built up in the contacts.

Sounds to me like you're getting everything except a consistant power feed to the starter/generator - first, like I said let's clean up all the connections and grounds (be careful, however when pulling the cables from the starter, best plan is to use 2 wrenches, one on the nut against the starter and one on the nut holding the cable, especially on an older starter you want to be sure not to spin the posts themselves when doing the R&R) - in the event that this doesn't help, then you're likely looking at a new 4-post, continuous-duty solenoid - try the connections forst and we can troubleshoot the solenoid afterwards if that doesn't fix you up.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
beckfrompeck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

alright!!! it was my generator! got it going good but it sputters now then it ignites... if you have any suggestions that would be great. it may be compression? ill check other blogs to see if same problem exists.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
arejaye
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
OK, just to make sure I'm following you, when you turn the key on and depress the pedal, the solenoid clicks and you get a single spark, then when you release the pedal you get another single spark, but at no time does the starter/generator engage and turn over the motor?

If that's the case, first, you want to pull ALL your heavy-gauge (battery-cable sized) connections one at a time and thoroughly clean them, a wire brush and some contact cleaner will come in handy here. Pay special attention to the ground wires from battery to frame, as well as frame to engine (common spots for losing ground and getting your symptom) then give it a shot again. It also won't hure to spray inside your F/R switch while turning the lever back and forth to ensure there's no crud built up in the contacts.

Sounds to me like you're getting everything except a consistant power feed to the starter/generator - first, like I said let's clean up all the connections and grounds (be careful, however when pulling the cables from the starter, best plan is to use 2 wrenches, one on the nut against the starter and one on the nut holding the cable, especially on an older starter you want to be sure not to spin the posts themselves when doing the R&R) - in the event that this doesn't help, then you're likely looking at a new 4-post, continuous-duty solenoid - try the connections forst and we can troubleshoot the solenoid afterwards if that doesn't fix you up.
Hi there, I'm having the same issue with my 88 EZGO. I just got it and I'm also new to the carts.
So I have spark but only when I first press the pedal and that's it. It doesn't contiually spark while the motor is turning over. Any idea what this could be? Thanks in advance...this looks to be a very helpful forum!
arejaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1988, ez go, ez go gas, not running, spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO