lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
buzz952
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car rear end noise

I have a dozen golf carts coming in, all claiming to have excessive noise from the rear end area. My Question: Is there one area (component) known for braking down and causing noise?
buzz952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car rear end noise

My driven clutch sounds like someone put VCR in a clothes dryer. As bad as it sounds, it WORKS fine, so I'm hoping to avoid replacing the whole thing.
PIB-My-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
georgesusi
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm looking at the same problem on my CC 272 Carryall. The rear end is so loud my neighbors know when Im coming. I jacked the back off the ground and used a steel rod like a stethoscope to listen to the transmission and rear axle wheel bearings. The loudest sound came from the wheel bearing area. I pulled the drums and checked if the shoes were dragging, turned the ridge off with a lathe. Replaced parking brake cables. I haven't been able to pull the axel bearings. I removed the c-clip retainer ring but couldn't get the axle an bearing to come out. Any suggestions on how to pull the rear axles would be appreciated.
georgesusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
SixSpeed
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My 1996 Caryall II just started making some rear end noise. Doesn't sound good! It only makes the noise when the driven clutch is engaged. Not sure how to describe it, VCR in the dryer sounds about right though, haha.

Any ideas? I don't even know where to start. Totally new to carts.
SixSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

six speed, first thing first drop your oil. see whats coming out if anything. see if you got any bearing parts , material, thrust bearing, blah blah blah.. if you got a 2 part axle, trans on top of the axle, give it a drian too. you will need to drain and refill if you find its in the wheel bearing. all that crap can go in to the case and cause some hell!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
SixSpeed
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey, I read that halfway through '96 (The year of my cart) they changed to the 2 part axle, do you know if there are any write ups on oil filling procedures for the 2 part? I THINK that is what I have, the older oil writeup didn't look the same.
SixSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
georgesusi
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I attacked the monster. I have been reluctant to get into the transaxle with a fear of not knowing what to expect. But the noisy transmission got the best of me. I already had one Club Car mechanic tell me it was probably the input shaft bearing, then another said the same. So, I jacked it up pulled off the tire and removed the spring and axel on the clutch side.
Then I disconnected the throttle linkage and governor. Removed all the bolts and pryer it open. Fortunately, all the gears adhered to the casing and came out as a complete unit. I toke a photo so I would know how it should go back together. As I was told the bearing on the input shaft was shot. Not the large bearing on the clutch side but the enter most bearing. Being that it was Saturday and before noon, I hurried down to the Club Car dealer to find they don't open on Saturday. Then to a bearing sales shop, the same, closed on Saturday. Then it struck me, my wife told be before I left to check with Advanced Discount Auto Parts they may have bearings. I thought no change they would have the exact bearing used in a Club Car 272 Carryall transmission. Well to my surprise, the clerk looked up the bearing by its number and asked how many do I need. Just the one at $25.00.
Got home and cleaned everything up put in the new bearing, fought with the gears to get them back like they were. And the shifter mechanism thats is a piece of work trying to put it in the slot, slide the gears in their bearing cavities and not get things misaligned.
Finally got everything reassembled, removed the jack, fired her up, and all she would do is squeal. I thought, what did I get in the gears that it won't go. Well the squealing was not the belt it was the tire, in my hast I forgot to remove the tire calks I used to keep it from rolling out of my shop.
No more noise, now I can take my wife for a ride and the neighbors don't know we are coming.
Moral to the story, don't let the monster win.
georgesusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

good story!

lucky u found a clerk with some knowledge / common sense / good work ethic! i hate dealing with those fools 99% of the time!
-sj

bearing tip: using a heat gun or torch on a part holding a stuck press-fit radial bearing often allows the bearing to fall right out. sticking a bearing in the freezer prior to installing often eases press fit installation!
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeed View Post
Hey, I read that halfway through '96 (The year of my cart) they changed to the 2 part axle, do you know if there are any write ups on oil filling procedures for the 2 part? I THINK that is what I have, the older oil writeup didn't look the same.
look at the axle. if it only has 1 fill plug, or the squars plug on the right side, pass side, and the same at the battom right side it is a 1 peice desighn. if its like the picture in the sticky at the top of the section, its a 2 peice desighn. thats about the easiest way i know to tell you. im sure other will chime in to help you too.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesusi View Post
I attacked the monster. I have been reluctant to get into the transaxle with a fear of not knowing what to expect. But the noisy transmission got the best of me. I already had one Club Car mechanic tell me it was probably the input shaft bearing, then another said the same. So, I jacked it up pulled off the tire and removed the spring and axel on the clutch side.
Then I disconnected the throttle linkage and governor. Removed all the bolts and pryer it open. Fortunately, all the gears adhered to the casing and came out as a complete unit. I toke a photo so I would know how it should go back together. As I was told the bearing on the input shaft was shot. Not the large bearing on the clutch side but the enter most bearing. Being that it was Saturday and before noon, I hurried down to the Club Car dealer to find they don't open on Saturday. Then to a bearing sales shop, the same, closed on Saturday. Then it struck me, my wife told be before I left to check with Advanced Discount Auto Parts they may have bearings. I thought no change they would have the exact bearing used in a Club Car 272 Carryall transmission. Well to my surprise, the clerk looked up the bearing by its number and asked how many do I need. Just the one at $25.00.
Got home and cleaned everything up put in the new bearing, fought with the gears to get them back like they were. And the shifter mechanism thats is a piece of work trying to put it in the slot, slide the gears in their bearing cavities and not get things misaligned.
Finally got everything reassembled, removed the jack, fired her up, and all she would do is squeal. I thought, what did I get in the gears that it won't go. Well the squealing was not the belt it was the tire, in my hast I forgot to remove the tire calks I used to keep it from rolling out of my shop.
No more noise, now I can take my wife for a ride and the neighbors don't know we are coming.
Moral to the story, don't let the monster win.
good job! did you rember to use syn lube? good idea to flush the new fluid after some running and drop in the syn lube after a couple of hrs, plus it will cost you around 10 bucks or so for a qt of 85-140 syn lube! thats cheap insurance baby!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car