lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #1
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Is RoyPow a fake company??

I think RoyPow is a company run by one (or a few) guys from China, out of Texas.

I think it's a small-time thing with a huge, fake website making bullshit claims.

Does the guy/company make a working battery? I guess so? What happens if there's an issue down the road or the battery blows up?

I'm very concerned with what appears to be a hugely fake front. I understand "fake it 'til you make it" but these things costs thousands of dollars and have REAL safety risks.

I'd rather buy a battery from a small company being honest, than a small company lying their ***** off.

Please somebody convince me I'm a conspiracy theorist and have nothing to worry about.

I haven't made a comprehensive list, but there are just so many things that don't seem right for a company of that "size". Their lack of real internet presence, generic content, puffed up claims, etc.
  • Their DNV-GL certificate can't be found or verified. It looks like a photoshopped cert with fake info. The certificate's QR code can't be scanned, the GNV-GL office does not appear on the DNV-GL's site, the DNV-GL address appears to be a hotel, the certificate # can't be searched/verified using DNV-GL's verification system.
  • The various random Chinese addresses provided don't match up to each other.
  • None of their listed offices are large enough (<2000sqft) for a conglomerate, don't show up in Google as their business, appear to be small garages, or have some random company's name on it (ex. Chao Li International Group)
  • It looks like their company logo is photoshopped onto the side of a building
  • Claim 1000+ patents, but good luck finding one
  • Claim 8000 employees and 500+ R&D engineers - BS. I don't think their company footprint supports that.
  • It looks like a lot of their battery tech is copy & paste from battery white papers, with a small personal touch added. They've left the letter "O" in certain areas, which is an artifact of some software for bullet points from copy & paste.
  • Images look like they're ripped from other AliBaba companies. Some images don't even align with the product. I was under the impression RoyPow's used prismatic cells and not cylindrical ones, but they have cylindrical graphics.
  • It doesn't feel right
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is RoyPow a fake company??

SBIRD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #3
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Thanks for your research Atrain...well done...

There are quite a few people running their carts with RoyPow packs.

Have often wondered if the this and other lithium batttery pack
manufacturers are of any substance...and be there 7-10 years down
the road to support their current clients when the time comes to back
up their warranties etc..

Time will tell.

Happy cartin'
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have a RoyPow myself. Bought it from a local dealer who is also a authorized RoyPow dealer too. They have been using them in thir own carts for almost 3 years now - they refused to sell anything out of their store without testing it first since it, like ALL lithium batteries, come from China, and to be honest, there is a huge disparity in the quality control (as an entire country). That being said, they really liked the way they performed and began selling them.

I got mine last winter, and love it. I'm getting at least 3x the life of my previous L/A batteries, less need for charging, and charges faster. The no maintenance part is a nice bonus too.

If, and hopefully, I do not, have an issue with my battery, I simply take it to that dealer. They will handle the rest.

I understand that could very well mean I am without a battery until they can test it, but the same would be said for a L/A battery that had any issues in line (just less to replace 1).

I also agree only time will tell - lots of new drop-ins popping up these days, but just keep in mind there are no lithium batteries made in the US. Do we know if certain regions in China are known for better or worse QC?

Edit: I will also say that I am less than impressed with their time to market on the "P" series batteries they have promised customers they would have out. Most, if not all of them are still waiting - last I heard is now sometime in the fall. Not a fuzzy feeling.
bzlytbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Interesting. I did a Google Maps and street search of their Calif. and Georgetown TX stated locations. These locations appear to be rental units to small business who require storage space. (Storage space equal to a two car garage).

Neither of these locations have any signage of RowPow. That could be their signage isn't up, or the Google Maps pics are from a year they were not there yet.

Interesting.......
DaveTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:36 AM   #6
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzlytbeer View Post

If, and hopefully, I do not, have an issue with my battery, I simply take it to that dealer. They will handle the rest.

I understand that could very well mean I am without a battery until they can test it, but the same would be said for a L/A battery that had any issues in line (just less to replace 1).
My "argument" to that is, what will/can your dealer do if the battery company ends up a complete sham and has no way of fixing or replacing your battery X years from now? I'd be pretty confident your dealer would take the stance of, "Sorry, there's nothing we can do" and not handle it for you. I could be wrong and you have a very outstanding dealer willing to take losses on the account of another company, but I'm fairly confident that wouldn't be the case.

I feel like that's what I'm seeing on some of the FB sites. Folks with faulty batteries and no timeline of repair or replacement.

I've said it other places... One, I don't want to pay for lithium at the current price point. But mostly, the product development for the cart market is just too young for my liking. Way too many people trying to rush solutions to market in my opinion. I'll stick with FLA for another go-round and see what's happened a few years down the road.

That said, it seems Extreme Team is the go-to at the moment based on the product AND service. Maybe they've figured something out. Again, I'll allow it to mature. If they're the real deal, they'll still be around in 4-5 years when I'll need batteries.
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:00 AM   #7
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Roy-Pow is owned by Eve Energy out of China. Eve is one of a few battery manufacturers in China with CATL being the largest. Everything is built overseas and the "RoyPow" thing is a distribution unit here in the states. All serious warranty issues will, of course, require shipping the product overseas so there's a potential for serious hassle there, buyer beware.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #8
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
Roy-Pow is owned by Eve Energy out of China. Eve is one of a few battery manufacturers in China with CATL being the largest. Everything is built overseas and the "RoyPow" thing is a distribution unit here in the states. All serious warranty issues will, of course, require shipping the product overseas so there's a potential for serious hassle there, buyer beware.
I did find that claim on a Chinese RoyPow PDF that claimed RoyPow was an EVE subsidiary out of China, but not much more to support that from EVE's perspective.

Is there more evidence of that or is there a chance RoyPow is just claiming to be an EVE subsidiary since they likely use EVE prismatic cells in their packs and they just claim it?
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #9
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I can't say if they are fake or not, but the Roypow, charger & cables I have are of very good quality. Not cheap materials by any means. If they are faking it, they are doing a good job. I've been very happy (so far).
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #10
mtollin
Gone Wild

Yeah, Roypow is a conspiracy and they actually are behind our stolen presidency 🤣
mtollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roypow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium