lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #1
Tommybh
Getting Wild

Default Ezgo txt slams into forward and reverse

Ezgo gas txt 2006 when I put it in drive it slams into gear when I go from forward to reverse it will slam into gear kids have to hold on when switching from one to the other but once it’s in say forward and I go to neutral and back to forward it goes right back into gear vise versa if I move the shifter to reverse I notice the part in picture doesn’t fully engage until I turn the clutch next to it a little bit then it will engage all the way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13063A52-7775-47D5-94D3-FBF5C6EB0BA1.jpg (44.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EA168555-3F68-4985-9C8E-A68F37D47C5E.jpg (36.7 KB, 0 views)
Tommybh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Ezgo txt slams into forward and reverse

Check the oil or change it in the differential?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:07 AM   #3
Tommybh
Getting Wild

Yes it was full I put fresh in it no change it will only fully engage if I spin the differential clutch a quarter turn then the shift lever fully engages the there’s no issues unless I change to reverse then drive or drive to reverse ... if I’m in drive It will stay in drive fine from neutral to drive but as soon as I go from one to the other it seems to stick until I rotate the driven clutch a quarter turn
Old 05-18-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

When you change from forward to reverse you move the shifter which moves the cable, the cable has two springs shown in your pictures.
They allow the cable to move forward to reverse and back without forcing the gears to mesh. The springs do that when the shaft moves just a bit.
Unfortunately, Ezgo uses a return spring in their drive clutch to disengage the clutch but you also have to rev the engine to overcome the spring which sometimes slams the gears when it shifts.
All that said to say, I remove all the springs in our drive clutches so that 1, you don't have to rev the motor to engage the clutch to take off and 2, it engages the clutch as soon as you start which reduces the shock load the the transaxle when shifting.
I could've just said remove the spring and try it but wanted to explain what's taking place during a shift.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #5
Tommybh
Getting Wild

So is the operation of cart not engaging until clutch moves a little normal ? If I watch the shift lever on the rear It moves as far as the cable lets it and then stops I can’t force it further with my hand but if I turn clutch it pops the lever further in with ever direction it was shifted to
Old 05-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

That is normal since the transaxles don't have what we call synchronized gears,
The spring on the cable holds tension on the shift fork until the gears move a little and slid into the other.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

May want to check the idle screw and back it down a little.. If running too fast it will do what you describe
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I still stick with pulling the drive clutch spring...........
Old 05-18-2021, 11:10 AM   #9
Tommybh
Getting Wild

Okay I will try to remove the spring your talking about the one on engine correct ?
Old 05-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

yes, the clutch on the engine is referred as the drive clutch and the rear one on the transaxle is the driven.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO