lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
Realnorthernsanta21
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default What do I have? What's it worth and what should I do First?

Hi folks. I used to be a member here when I owned a Yamaha G9 gasser then life happened. Now I'm back as a new member and I just picked up an electric Club Car so I'm trying to learn all over again.

From what I think I've learned so far it's a 97 DS so tell me if I'm wrong.

I think it's in good shape but so far haven't been able to drive it as it might need new batteries. I bought it from an estate sale and it appears to have been well maintained other then the past year as I'm assuming the original owner got sick and passed.

I've attached some pics and hopefully you guys can tell me what I have, what it's worth and what I should do first to get it rolling.

Thanks in advance and let me know if I need to include some additional info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0516211546_HDR.jpg (215.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0516211546a_HDR.jpg (219.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0516211546b_HDR.jpg (223.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0516211548_HDR.jpg (204.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0516211547_HDR.jpg (222.7 KB, 0 views)
Realnorthernsanta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: What do I have? What's it worth and what should I do First?

That's DS model, Regen1 drive system.
That was the first 48v sepex drive system that club car put to market. It is well known for having problems, and the controller is pretty much impossible to find if it's bad.
There was an update that Club Car did that consisted of a new controller and a converter box with an adapter wire harness. Those were also problematic, also impossible to find replacement parts for. If it runs it's kind of a miracle.

Start by checking the water level in the batteries, see if you can get them all up to about 6.5V using a car 12v battery charger, and then try to plug in the powerdrive charger and see if it will charge.
You will definitely have to clean the battery terminals, and may have to replace the eyelet on the end of the red charge wire.

If you can get it to charge then you should be able to at least test it up on jack stands to see if it will do anything.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:52 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

You picked up a nice 97 DS, 48 volt batteries.

Check the battery electrolyte level in each cell. Add distilled water to bring level to 1/2" above the plates but below the cell eye level indicator.

Connect the charger and leave it running overnight.

Check your pack voltage a few minutes after disconnecting the charger.

Check the voltage of each individual battery.

List the readings here and we'll be better able to guide you.

Does the car move at all under power? If it does and pack voltage is 48.5 volts or below, your batteries need to be replaced. See if you can find the date code on those Trojan T-875's. It will show as a letter and two numbers, for example, A13 is January 2013.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
Realnorthernsanta21
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Fairtax at least I was on the right track. Don't know much about the electric carts, but I'm sure I'll be making upgrades and conversions as I'm able. I'm a professional Santa and am hoping to create some kind of sleigh out of it to use in parades and stuff. Time will tell what I do.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
That's DS model, Regen1 drive system.
That was the first 48v sepex drive system that club car put to market. It is well known for having problems, and the controller is pretty much impossible to find if it's bad.
There was an update that Club Car did that consisted of a new controller and a converter box with an adapter wire harness. Those were also problematic, also impossible to find replacement parts for. If it runs it's kind of a miracle.

Start by checking the water level in the batteries, see if you can get them all up to about 6.5V using a car 12v battery charger, and then try to plug in the powerdrive charger and see if it will charge.
You will definitely have to clean the battery terminals, and may have to replace the eyelet on the end of the red charge wire.

If you can get it to charge then you should be able to at least test it up on jack stands to see if it will do anything.
Do this first as suggested by our resident genius, Fairtax. Then you can do what I humbly suggested....
Old 05-16-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
Realnorthernsanta21
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It will probably be about a week before I'll be able to do much of anything with the cart as I have a pretty full plate this coming week but I'm itching to start getting into it and I'll be updating as I go.

What do you guys think it might be worth, trying to decide if I did ok. I gave 900 for it.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #7
Realnorthernsanta21
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Any idea where I might find the date code on the batteries? I did a quick look but didn't see anything that jumped out at me as a date code.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Price is location relative but up here you did good for a "CLEAN canvas' if nothing is good and you are going to repower it anyways. If it still works as is, that's gravy! Either way she's got strong bones to work off of!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:23 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realnorthernsanta21 View Post
Any idea where I might find the date code on the batteries? I did a quick look but didn't see anything that jumped out at me as a date code.
I think the Trojans have the date code stamped into the top of the negative terminal.
One letter for month and one number for the last digit of the year made. For example A3 = January 2013.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realnorthernsanta21 View Post
What do you guys think it might be worth, trying to decide if I did ok. I gave 900 for it.
You did good, real good. You can put less than $2000 in it and have a real nice Santa sleigh!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car