lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #1
KmanAuto
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1990 Club Car Slow & Shakes, stops at full throttle

Picked up a 1990 Club Car, resistor style, 36v. Real basic. It's fully stock.

The problem I'm having, is this. When I press the accelerator, it will move forward or reverse. Slow, maybe 1mph, just a creep. If I put throttle all the way down, it will actually go SLOWER, and after about 30 seconds to one minute, the battery cables, and connections start getting HOT and Smoking.
This does NOT happen if I use partial throttle. Only on FULL Throttle does this happen.

Here is what has been done already:
1:I put brand new batteries in it, Batteries have been tested as well and are perfect new condition.
2: Took EVERY Battery cable and connection off, cleaned and replaced. All connections are good. Overall, cables were already pretty good.
3: Took the V-Glide apart. Cleaned all the copper contacts, and the copper paddle. Took all connections apart, cleaned and shiny now.
4: The resistors are/were rusty, so took all of them off, and cleaned the connection points.
5: Took connections off the motor, cleaned all the terminals and replaced washers and nuts with new ones I had sitting around.

No change what so ever. Would this be a brush issue?

My home is on a bit of a hill, so I went up hill a bit at a creep, turned around, to see if maybe it got some speed on the down-hill.
Upon going down-hill (Not steep at all, but still a incline) got a little bit of speed, maybe 4 mph-ish (Didn't measure) with throttle at a less than max setting.
When I went full throttle, the cart actually SLOWED DOWN! And YES, it was in FORWARD.

Thoughts and ideas? We have another virtually identical (Mechanically) Club Car, that works no problem. I referenced that one to make sure I had everything connected correctly.

THANK YOU!
KmanAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
KmanAuto
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1990 Club Car Slow & Shakes, stops at full throttle

Well, figured it out, so thought i’d update in case anyone else here had similar problem.

Basically the motor was a dead short.
Took the housing off, and it was so packed with dust and crap and brush dust and even spider webs....
The commutator looks to have been arcing to the point a layer of copper had nurled over filling in each gap between the bars. Brushes themselves were good, looked as though someone else had our new brushes in to try and fix the problem.
So anyways, motor was always in a state of near dead short.

I first took my dremel with a rubber/grit polishing wheel and went over the entire contact area and brought it to a nice shine. Cleaned up very nice.
Second, switched to a flat dremel grinding disk. the paper thin ones. went through 4 of them doing this, but gently went between each bar and cleaned out the copper that had arc melted over, this separating each bar again.
Put the motor back together, reconnected everything.
Cart is now smooth as butter, does 11mph uphill and 20 downhill at 36v.
KmanAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1990 Club Car Slow & Shakes, stops at full throttle

Well done! You just saved yourself a lot of $$$$. Now go spend it on yourself!
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shakes, slow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car