lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #1
doo dah
Gone Wild

Default EZGO Brake Issues

Have an issue with my brakes and not certain where to post but since I'm lifted with 25" tires I figured this section is as good as any. I have a 2013 TXT that I cut and stretched to a 6 seater with Jakes front LT and 25" tires. Brakes are non existent. I had to install a long rod to connect the pedal to the cables and have addressed all I can think of; took the bend out of the rod and made it straight, cut clearance for the rod movement when applying the brakes, installed new cables, checked shoes, drums, etc...for operation, adjusted them to the point the shoes are dragging and still can't stop within 50 feet from 20ish mph. Want to put a Jakes front disc kit on but they are out of stock for who knows how long so looking at rear disc. Anyone know if they are more sensitive to the cable pull and provide better stopping? My 14 yr old is starting to drive the cart and is running into things because the thing won't stop. 😂
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Brake Issues

Are the ends of the cables clipped into the holders on the back of the drums? Sounds like you have some serious stretch or movement in the cable. If you used a standard brake cable and added a steel rod, you shouldn't have more stretch than stock and it should be fine. I am running stock brakes and 26" tires, thing stops fine. I'm not stretched though, so I didn't have to modify the cable except go to the ST-350 cables.

Throw some picks of the mods you made to the cable, both ends. Maybe we can pinpoint the issue.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
doo dah
Gone Wild

I replaced the cables so they are new. Haven't been able to figure it out which is why I'm thinking discs.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:39 AM   #4
doo dah
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
Are the ends of the cables clipped into the holders on the back of the drums? Sounds like you have some serious stretch or movement in the cable. If you used a standard brake cable and added a steel rod, you shouldn't have more stretch than stock and it should be fine. I am running stock brakes and 26" tires, thing stops fine. I'm not stretched though, so I didn't have to modify the cable except go to the ST-350 cables.

Throw some picks of the mods you made to the cable, both ends. Maybe we can pinpoint the issue.
trying to load pics but my new iphone is not in a compatible format.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I haven't worked on anything longer than a Workhorse 1200, so not sure how they deal with the stretch models. Sounds to me like you are getting stretch or movement in one of the points where the cable housing should be fixed. If you go to cable operated disks using the same cables, you will end up with the same issue. With wide pics of the adjuster under the brake pedal, and how the brake lines are clipped to the back side of the drum backer plates, we can likely point you in the right direction. Try emailing them to yourself as jpegs, then upload from there.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
cfoxcvg1988
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have the same exact situation. My neighbor has the same lifted cart not stretched and he can lock up his breaks with ease. My stretched cart with only me and you might as well put your feet out Flintstones style. I want to add fronts also but there is no reason the rears are not working much better than they are. Please keep up posted if you find a fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Have an issue with my brakes and not certain where to post but since I'm lifted with 25" tires I figured this section is as good as any. I have a 2013 TXT that I cut and stretched to a 6 seater with Jakes front LT and 25" tires. Brakes are non existent. I had to install a long rod to connect the pedal to the cables and have addressed all I can think of; took the bend out of the rod and made it straight, cut clearance for the rod movement when applying the brakes, installed new cables, checked shoes, drums, etc...for operation, adjusted them to the point the shoes are dragging and still can't stop within 50 feet from 20ish mph. Want to put a Jakes front disc kit on but they are out of stock for who knows how long so looking at rear disc. Anyone know if they are more sensitive to the cable pull and provide better stopping? My 14 yr old is starting to drive the cart and is running into things because the thing won't stop. 😂
cfoxcvg1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

They do make stretch cables for the 6 passenger carts. Cables are 68" long. With the longer cables, you should be able to hook it up just like a stock cart, and should work fine. There isn't enough extra weight in the "stretch" that would make the brakes not work. If you hook up cables to the compensator (spring and cable bracket at the bottom of the brake pedal arm), and then to the lever on the back of the drum, put clips in to keep the cables from moving about, should be able to adjust them to where you can lock up the brakes.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #8
doo dah
Gone Wild

I have a rod that connects the pedal assembly and compensator to the cable brackets at the original location, it is almost 3 feet long. I have adjusted the brakes using the adjuster on the backing plate, replaced the cables with new ones, and adjusted tension on the rod to the point there is a little drag on the shoes. I think the rod is not providing enough leverage to make a direct horizontal pull on the cables. I think once it reaches a point the rod is pulled upward towards the floor of the cart and prevents full lock up. Replacing the existing factory length cables with ones for a six seater may be the only option (for me) other than the Jake's front disc kit.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:14 AM   #9
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

How about a mechanical disc brake kit for the rear axle. They are pretty pricey but are said to provide much better braking. Simple swap and in stock everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:29 AM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
How about a mechanical disc brake kit for the rear axle. They are pretty pricey but are said to provide much better braking. Simple swap and in stock everywhere.
That's a good suggestion.....BUT.....if there is a stretch in it now, that will still be there with drop in disc.

You should be able to lock the rear wheels when you hit the brakes. Perhaps you have slack in the current setup that needs adjusted?

I'm sure it's driving you nutz, but just a suggestion.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts