lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
nez02
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default School Me on Primary Clutch Designs

Digging into the primary clutches for the Yamaha carts there have been a few main designs.

G2 style
G16 style
"Team style"
Then the new 17 and later updated "g2" style.

From what I have read many despise the Team clutches. The G16 design has been the most popular and is what Gboost and others recommend as a replacement.

If the "team" clutch has such a bad reputation why does Plowmans sell them as their primary? I know Don has worked his magic on the clutch. Is it truly that much better then the G-16 OEM design? Has he turned the hated primary in to a proven performer? Can they be rebuilt like the G16 style?

I thought I would reach out here for answers before I spoke with Don. I know he's slammed right now.

Let me be crystal clear here. I am in no way bashing Dons products. I have them on all of my personal and buddies carts. They ALWAYS perform.

Just looking to improve my own knowledge and make the best choice for my G16 primary as its pretty worn. I have Dons kit on the rear now.
nez02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: School Me on Primary Clutch Designs

Just my 2 cents worth. And not to put down to Mr Plowman, many people praise his work. I've seen all the Yamaha primary clutch's thru the years and have rebuilt so many I could probably do it in my sleep. G2/G9 -when a weight let's go, just replace all three at the same time. The fiber/collar bushings just wear out after time. Was a very good "smooth" operating clutch. G16/G22 clutch's had a problem that the bad roller material would get flat spots and when the clutch was fully engaged, the weight would get past the flat spot and get stuck in the closed position. I found "Gboost" and used there "steel rollers" every time for a rebuild. Also it was a very smooth clutch. Team....I don't know what Mr Plowman does to them, but for me they "suck"! The later version of the G2/G9 style has no fiber/collars, smooth operation also, but you have to match a drive belt and starter belt to match the application. Hopefully Golf car tech will chime in, he's a Yamaha guru.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:46 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

He pretty much just covered everything, I agree with the g16/22 rollers he uses (I use the same). The Team clutches are a pile (at least in stock form), and yamaha doesnt offer any rebuild parts for the bushings, where most of the rattle & slop comes from for Team clutches. The newest FBT clutches do have different spacing. And I like the G16/22 style best, because it works, and it's the cheapest to repair.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:47 AM   #4
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default School Me on Primary Clutch Designs

I thought Yamaha stopped using the Team Clutch in 2013? Just curious what I have since nez is saying 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:01 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
I thought Yamaha stopped using the Team Clutch in 2013? Just curious what I have since nez is saying 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe you are correct, and I'm 100% sure they arrived long before the DR2.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha