lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #1
OxCart
Not Yet Wild

Default My $300 EZGO Txt Cart Project

Longtime lurker and finally have a cart to work on. Background-picked up this cart for $300. Creeps in forward and faster (relative with the batteries themselves) in reverse. Got it trailered and home and like most projects with a wife/kid/work sat in the garage. Finally got back to it aka wife says I want to have the cart for the neighborhood (paved but some steeper inclines). As far as I can tell from the one sticker which blew off after I touched it, the sponsors sites, and my reading here it's a 2003 TXT PDS Sepex.

I won't even start on the wiring/battery mix. I've pulled the battery wiring off (and tossed it) and have the batteries out for cores on new ones and 2GA wires. Looks like a new tray is in my future (expected) but hey the wood held up. Replacing rims/tires since the old are dry rotted and some rust which is quick cheap easy for OEM being in GA. Front seat cushion is shot so going to replace that and add a rear seat. Picked up a NOS headlight/taillight kit to add in. Body isn't too bad overall-some surface rust but short of the battery tray at least right now looks alright.

Debating if I "need a new controller" for it to go 48V since I'm doing the wires/batteries and likely the F/R switch (or solenoid-still need power to troubleshoot it). Trying not to kill the bank getting it going but if it makes sense to go 48V and in the budget aka what the wife approves will go for it.

Thanks for all of the great information!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210510_180418788_iOS.jpg (205.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210510_162405584_iOS.jpg (211.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210510_161719885_iOS.jpg (221.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210510_161722712_iOS.jpg (202.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210510_162750000_iOS.jpg (200.8 KB, 0 views)
OxCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
Ajluzi
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: My $300 EZGO Txt Cart Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxCart View Post
Longtime lurker and finally have a cart to work on. Background-picked up this cart for $300. Creeps in forward and faster (relative with the batteries themselves) in reverse. Got it trailered and home and like most projects with a wife/kid/work sat in the garage. Finally got back to it aka wife says I want to have the cart for the neighborhood (paved but some steeper inclines). As far as I can tell from the one sticker which blew off after I touched it, the sponsors sites, and my reading here it's a 2003 TXT PDS Sepex.

I won't even start on the wiring/battery mix. I've pulled the battery wiring off (and tossed it) and have the batteries out for cores on new ones and 2GA wires. Looks like a new tray is in my future (expected) but hey the wood held up. Replacing rims/tires since the old are dry rotted and some rust which is quick cheap easy for OEM being in GA. Front seat cushion is shot so going to replace that and add a rear seat. Picked up a NOS headlight/taillight kit to add in. Body isn't too bad overall-some surface rust but short of the battery tray at least right now looks alright.

Debating if I "need a new controller" for it to go 48V since I'm doing the wires/batteries and likely the F/R switch (or solenoid-still need power to troubleshoot it). Trying not to kill the bank getting it going but if it makes sense to go 48V and in the budget aka what the wife approves will go for it.

Thanks for all of the great information!!
I’d go 48v. FR switch and solenoid aren’t too expensive (couple hundred maybe) and the batteries will be about the same for 36v or 48v. So might as well set yourself up for any future upgrades if you’re already replacing the batteries.
Ajluzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
OxCart
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajluzi View Post
I’d go 48v. FR switch and solenoid aren’t too expensive (couple hundred maybe) and the batteries will be about the same for 36v or 48v. So might as well set yourself up for any future upgrades if you’re already replacing the batteries.
Thanks-that's what I'm thinking as well. I could try and run the stock controller but could last 1 second or a month so may as well replace it. One of the sponsors who has a lot of helpful posts here has a great kit that knocks it all out for me.

Debating which battery tray to go with-lots of them out there but all better than the 2x2's I have now LOL.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought a stock replacement battery tray for site sponsor here. Figure if stock steel tray lasted as long as it did, stock replacement would be fine.

Totally agree going 48 volt upgrade. Major Improvment.👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

If you are considering going 48v, you will have to buy a new charger. With that added expense, I would buy a drop in Lithium pack (comes with charge) for not more $$. And you will not be replaceing batteries in 5-6 years (lithium pack should last 15 years). And you will not have to replace battery trays, I cut marine plywood for bottom, and with extra space, you have storage under your seat. Plus your weight drops by about 400#'s and performance is better.Here is a thread for comparing different ones.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=173142
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
OxCart
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I haven't been looking at lithium as I'm still learning the basics etc.

On my cart the frame is rusted thru-I could get try and get by with the lighter batteries but at some point it will fail.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I would seriously consider Lithium if I were doing what you are about to do. It is not only financially best investment, but performance is undisputable.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #8
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

“If” frame is rusted thru aside from battery tray that can be replaced with replacement bolt piece. Recommend getting it repaired. Not hi dollar repair if you have local fab shop or know someone with access to square tubing and mig welder. Either way a “main frame rail “rusted thru does need to be addressed.

Can you send pic of damage?
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #9
OxCart
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
“If” frame is rusted thru aside from battery tray that can be replaced with replacement bolt piece. Recommend getting it repaired. Not hi dollar repair if you have local fab shop or know someone with access to square tubing and mig welder. Either way a “main frame rail “rusted thru does need to be addressed.

Can you send pic of damage?
Yep will do-hopefully weather holds and I can pull it out to blow it off and work easier (too many projects in the garage).
Old 05-17-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
OxCart
Not Yet Wild

Got a chance to get it out and put on new non rotted tires (stock) and cleaned it up a bit. Since the batteries were out I put it on it's side to check the frame/suspension/steering out. Looks like new suspension in the future (when I add a rear seat for sure) but for now just going to replace the battery tray and put in new batteries/wiring and see what happens from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210516_135419484_iOS.jpg (330.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210516_135438668_iOS.jpg (311.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210516_135444322_iOS.jpg (257.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210516_135514159_iOS.jpg (244.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO