lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
CartHDFun
Not Yet Wild

Default Carb/reed studs???

New to posting long time lurker lots of info i have learned from everyone being helpful. So I have an 81 HD 3 wheel rebuilt the engine on it that someone abused and welded things to make it impossible to crack the crank case and the bearings are shot. We had a spare engine semi complete just needed the bottom end got everything together and got to the reed manifold and the carb and the air cleaner slide over studs I took the studs from the original engine and they are all the same size the new engine has smaller diameter threads on the right a larger one on the bottom left and a normal one on the top left.

Can anyone point me in the direction to the correct stud sizes I need or is this a modification that someone tapped these out and I need to get creative to resolve?

Thank you for any input is greatly appreciated.
CartHDFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Carb/reed studs???

Here you go:

https://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com...HD_StdCarbMtng
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
CartHDFun
Not Yet Wild

Thank you that looks to fit the the right side of the carb and I know the top left one but the odd one is the bottom left stud location is bigger then the 5/16 in the upper left. That’s where I’m puzzled why 3 different sizes and looking at parts haven’t found a stud that’s bigger or the size or tpi, guess I will mess a round with a few size bolts til I find a match.

Since I’m going to go the bolt on route instead of studs to clamp down the air cleaner, could I or has anyone fitted a universal conical air cleaner to the end of the carb and ditch the factory one? And will it change anything like air fuel that I might need to adjust for?

Just trying to get insight if I’m being too hopeful for this setup because I find nothing about a larger stud on any of the years.

This is the last step to see if this engine will run since it’s been sitting in a shed for long time. If this doesn’t pan out I was engine swapping a 212 duromax 7hp with a reverse box inline with a tav2 setup I bought everything to do the retro fit in it but came across the spare engine my dad had. So the 4 cyclewent on the 150cc go cart for the kids as a big upgrade. And will pick up another one or maybe a bigger engine for this project if this old engine doesn’t work out.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Got it. I have a host of Columbias but no actual Harleys. I was under the impression that there was only one size so I wouldn't be surprised if someone did some backyard engineering in the past. To your point, so long as things are tightened up it shouldn't matter what bolts are there.

You can put a different air cleaner on without messing with the fuel adjustment at all. That's a fairly common thing that people will do to these old carts.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
CartHDFun
Not Yet Wild

Sounds good just boggled me to find three sizes lol, well fingers crossed it works or I’m in for a lot of diy with a 4 stroke build thank you for the input.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson