lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Anyone building lithium battery banks other than Leaf

Curious if anyone is building battery banks from prismatic cells as opposed to the leaf cells. I do think the leaf cells are better quality, but.....
Looking at about 1K for 16 150ah 3C cells on a slow boat using a US based middleman.
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
cowsgonemadd3
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Anyone building lithium battery banks other than Leaf

I have been wondering the same. I was looking on ebay and I see lithium cells from Toyota hybrids among others. Some of them look more readily available and possibly cheaper.
cowsgonemadd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

I haven’t seen any hybrid cells that look decent, they are typically much lower capacity than a true ev cells
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
Scobra1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I used Chevy Volt cells but they came in a 16 cell module. Removing 2 cells to get to 14 is not something everyone would want to (or could) do. The end result turned out wonderful but individual cells that can be buss bared together is much easier and safer.

Here is a pic of how I had to attach a cable to the negative connection after I cut off the 2 cells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 369A7B00-4108-4227-AFB4-636D9015BE67.jpg (174.6 KB, 0 views)
Scobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I used chevy volt cells too. I didn't cut off the extra cells though, I just left them there and connected at the 14th cell. Similar to how Scobra made the connection.

But there are so many options now... A quick ebay search will turn up a lot. Do your research though as there are several chemistries in use today still. Like some of the Toyota batteries are NMH cells, no lithium at all. Just know what you're buying.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you are willing to work with them, the Volt cells may be a cheaper alternative to Leaf cells. They are higher capacity than individual Leaf modules but lower than the doubled up ones that most of us like to use.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #7
Scobra1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I cut them off so I can use them for something else. A 55 AH 12v jump pack comes to mind. I also have considered completely cutting out the individual packaged sells and using some in my giant scale RC airplanes. Each cell is 27.5 AH. Sure beats the heck out of the 4 AH I use currently. Lol
Scobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
emoney
Not Yet Wild

I've used both Ford C-Max Energi cells (the 25Ah versions) and LG Chem server rack cells. Also just ordered 94Ah cells from the BMW I3 that the seller claims were "new, never used". As long as you know the chemistry and you can find a data sheet, you can use all types of cells. Usually, the ones you find that are "cheap" are so for a reason and that's usually lower Ah ratings or odd voltage configs. I've seen those Toyota cells, but if I remember correctly, they're actually both odd and low Ah. If you've decided to build a battery, it's best to remember to order your BMS early in the process because they are getting harder and harder to find.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobra1 View Post
I cut them off so I can use them for something else. A 55 AH 12v jump pack comes to mind. I also have considered completely cutting out the individual packaged sells and using some in my giant scale RC airplanes. Each cell is 27.5 AH. Sure beats the heck out of the 4 AH I use currently. Lol
You can do a lot.....with a saws-all......
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium