lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
billybonds
Not Yet Wild

Default John Deere Gator Exhaust Problem

I have a John Deere Gator TX Turf with a Kawasaki FJ400D gas engine. The exhaust has become very loud, almost as if there is no more baffling or a hole, or like its partially backfiring on every stroke of the engine or something. I also feel like it may be down a little on power, but I am not sure. I cant pinpoint when it started or what may have caused it cause my wife was using my gator over the winter cause her club car gets stuck in 1/2" of snow. I removed the exhaust assembly, and aside from the gasket being pretty shot, I didnt see any evidence of external damage or holes. so I applied some gasket maker to both sides, reassembled, and no difference. There is no smoke, leaks, or issues turning over.
Can the muffler just go bad internally? Or could this be a bigger issue? I'd hate to waste money bringing it in for service if all they are going to do is change a muffler.
billybonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: John Deere Gator Exhaust Problem

Changing a muffler is quite easy, and likely not very expensive. Small engines tend to run lean and can backfire if there is no back pressure in the exhaust line.

I'm no Gator expert, but the exhaust gasket may be the problem, as a regular gasket won't survive the exhaust temperatures. It needs to be a gasket made to survive the high temperatures and exhaust pressures. I would buy a new muffler and gasket and replace it to see if it made a significant difference. It can't be a very big investment and should be quite easy to do. You can then respond back to this post to let us know if there was any improvement. From there, we will try to help further.

After this, timing or carburetor issues might be causing your problem. You will need to decide when to quit and take it in for service.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

While the FJ400D is the same basic engine EZGO used for a few years, the muffler and such is likely very different. As CharleyL mentioned the correct gasket is an absolute. No substitutes or "gasket maker" will work for more than a couple seconds - if that. While yes it is possible for an internal baffle to come loose, I would suggest trying a $5 or $10 gasket before popping for a several hundred $ muffler.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
billybonds
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
While the FJ400D is the same basic engine EZGO used for a few years, the muffler and such is likely very different. As CharleyL mentioned the correct gasket is an absolute. No substitutes or "gasket maker" will work for more than a couple seconds - if that. While yes it is possible for an internal baffle to come loose, I would suggest trying a $5 or $10 gasket before popping for a several hundred $ muffler.
I kind of rushed and ordered a new muffler and gasket, which sadly did not fix the issue. I am still hearing and feeling air escaping somewhere int he general viscinity where the flange for the exhaust bolts to the head. I'm not real familiar with air cooled engines, but is my next step the head gasket? I guess cause there was no smoke or leaks, I assumed it wasnt head gasket.... I will need to strip a few parts out of the way to get a good look, I cant fathom what else it could be. Best case a head gasket, wort case, and cracked head?
billybonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

A compression test would be the easiest and cheapest way to determine a head gasket or compression problem. You can buy a compression tester for about $25. The tester is connected to the spark plug opening. Then the engine is cranked over with the starter. The gauge instructions should tell you the rest.

Being more observant can save you money. Taking wild guesses and buying parts you don't need can get costly.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

While it won't sound nearly as loud as an exhaust leak, "hearing and feeling air escaping somewhere in the general vicinity where the flange for the exhaust bolts to the head" is normal for an air cooled engine. The flywheel has fan blades on it that force air through the fins of the block & head, under the shrouds that cover the engine. That gap around the exhaust port is one of the openings in those shrouds.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts