lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Newest Leaf Modules

Has anyone played with these new Leaf modules? Advertised as 2019. They appear to be different than the gen 3 double modules but it’s hard to tell. Chemistry is NMC. I’ve seen combinations of 3P4S, 3P9S and a at least one other option offered. Usable in a golf cart assuming you can get the series/parallel combination you want?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5ED6814D-E3AF-4EF6-92E1-CD8CC1B798D4.jpeg (181.2 KB, 0 views)
mccainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2021, 06:02 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Newest Leaf Modules

I have never seen these. Looks interesting - need specs though. Need 14S though.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

They’re on eBay right now. In the case of the 3P4S it says “ These NMC cells are rated at 3.65V nominal. Nominal voltage of each module is 14.6V.”

Module Voltages:
16.8V = 100% SoC
14.6V = 70% SoC
12.0V = 0% SoC

“These modules were rated at 176.7Ah and 2.589kWh when new. The SoH of these modules as reported by the Leaf BMS is 96.58%, which should give a capacity of 170.65Ah. This is just an estimate and actual capacity will vary.”

What you can’t see (because of the metal shell) is if it’s possible to rearrange the modules to get 14s and whether you could easily parallel in that configuration.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
tkain707
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

sounds like the new cells are about double their generation 1. Pretty cool, I am reading to gain insight on using a gen 1 setup i built but want to know what to do list i need to get my cart safely and effeciently hitting the course with 4 people on it.
tkain707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #5
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccainc View Post
They’re on eBay right now. In the case of the 3P4S it says “ These NMC cells are rated at 3.65V nominal. Nominal voltage of each module is 14.6V.”

Module Voltages:

16.8V = 100% SoC

14.6V = 70% SoC

12.0V = 0% SoC

“These modules were rated at 176.7Ah and 2.589kWh when new. The SoH of these modules as reported by the Leaf BMS is 96.58%, which should give a capacity of 170.65Ah. This is just an estimate and actual capacity will vary.”

What you can’t see (because of the metal shell) is if it’s possible to rearrange the modules to get 14s and whether you could easily parallel in that configuration.

I’m confused on some of the language there.

He says “ These NMC cells are rated at 3.65V nominal. Nominal voltage of each module is 14.6V.”

Then right below that he says:

Module Voltages:
16.8V = 100% SoC
14.6V = 70% SoC
12.0V = 0% SoC

So for a 48V cart, how many modules would be needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #6
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The assembled modules wouldn’t work as-is for a 48v cart. You’d need to break it down and reassemble the cells in a 14s configuration. The problem is we don’t know yet what the cells look like when you remove from the module and if they’re easily configured into series/parallel combinations like the gen 1 and 2 modules were. Need someone to take a leap of faith and open one up!
Old 01-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #7
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccainc View Post
The assembled modules wouldn’t work as-is for a 48v cart. You’d need to break it down and reassemble the cells in a 14s configuration. The problem is we don’t know yet what the cells look like when you remove from the module and if they’re easily configured into series/parallel combinations like the gen 1 and 2 modules were. Need someone to take a leap of faith and open one up!

Well he also sells a 3P9S module.

So I wonder if you took one of the 3P9S modules and series it with the 3P4S modules that would give a 100% SOC voltage of 54.6V.

Seems like I remember people splitting the Gen 1 modules into 8 & 6 cells with no issues. If I’m thinking right since they are rated at the same 176Ah capacity, there shouldn’t be a problem wiring them in series.

But I’ll readily admit I’m new to lithium and may be mistaken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-30-2021, 07:39 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You cannot split the new modules since they are just stacks of pouches, they went with a 3 pouches in parallel design instead of 2 pouches in parallel used in the previous designs.

They have three different "modules": 4S3P, 7S3P and 9S3P.

You could combine them in series (2x 7S3P) but I don't know if they expose individual BMS taps for each of the cell "triples".

Edit:

This is how the cell pouches are internally connected on the old Gen 2 2S2P modules:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leaf_eplus_modules.jpg (82.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Leaf_eplus_21_cells_back.jpg (90.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Leaf_eplus_21_cells_front.jpg (80.3 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:58 PM   #9
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You cannot split the new modules since they are just stacks of pouches, they went with a 3 pouches in parallel design instead of 2 pouches in parallel used in the previous designs.

They have three different "modules": 4S3P, 7S3P and 9S3P.

You could combine them in series (2x 7S3P) but I don't know if they expose individual BMS taps for each of the cell "triples".

Edit:

This is how the cell pouches are internally connected on the old Gen 2 2S2P modules:

Sergio what is the magic 14S for?

Would the scenario I posted above work? It gets the voltage where it needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-30-2021, 09:17 PM   #10
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Sergio for the info about the pouches. Disappointing that you’re stuck with the modules. I would think that there must be BMS taps for the individual cells as the car’s BMS would have to have to manage them just like we would. It does look like there’s a pigtail connector that comes from the module that could be BMS taps?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium