lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
lithiumsupplement
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1986 Yamaha Sun Classic Lithium Conversion Help

Hello, about a year and a half ago I got a lot of help (which I really appreciate) from this forum in converting a 48V Club Car DS from lead acid to lithium (chevy volt). I learned a lot from that project and had great time puttering around town, nearly every day. Unfortunately it was stolen from my driveway a couple weekends ago so yesterday I picked up an electric Sun Classic G3 for $1000 in not terrible shape.

I saw that the motor is rated 0.5 HP or 2.2K so that will need to be upgraded, by a lot!

I have the following ambitions for this cart, it would be great if you all could help me figure out how to meet them:

1. Go at least 30 mph, and be able to quickly climb steep hills with 4 passengers
2. Range of at least 15 miles
3. Ideally require minimal rewiring of existing electric components (lights, horn, blinker, anything else?)
4. Be relatively simple to achieve.
5. Spend less than ~$2.5K on the conversion.

Question 1: What motor should I purchase for this little cart?
Question 2: Recommendations on batteries, bms, and charger. Simplicity is optimal when possible.
Question 3: Recommendations for dc to dc converter, controller, and any other parts I may need.

Lastly, I'd like to get some spiffier wheels/tires. Any advice there would be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance. - Vlad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-7411.jpg (621.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-7412.jpg (466.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-7414.jpg (533.5 KB, 0 views)
lithiumsupplement is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #2
lithiumsupplement
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1986 Yamaha Sun Classic Lithium Conversion Help

Posting to put this back at the top of recent activity. Thanks in advance for taking a look.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

For me....this is one of those post that I would really like you to achieve success on a build.....but I am clueless as to what to do with such a "beast."
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
lithiumsupplement
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Dave. Appreciate you taking a look. Still looking for help if anyone else is out there.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm no guru, so can't really offer advice. Maybe post on this thread: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160302 , with a link to your thread here, and maybe one of the gurus will be able to offer advice?

Sorry your other cart got stolen, unfortunately there are people out there who are jerks. Luckily people on this site are not jerks. On the positive side, you have a cooler GC now.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hopefully my insight can be more of a grounding rod than a damper.
The subject is a 35yr old cart. With 35 yr old technology and structure.
The target speed and performance you state would challenge even the best built modern carts. That target may be set too high. Unless a complete reengineering and rebuilding of the cart is possible. You will need more than just the ability to make it go FAST. You will need to make it safe for the lives of 4 people. That means brakes and suspension redesigns.
I'm not saying it cannot be done. I'm saying go into this with eyes wide open. GL with the build.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Listen to Scottyb! You don't want a cart like that one going even 20mph! No front brakes, old design, etc. It was never intended to go that fast period. Your specs are more for a heavily modified modern cart with larger wheels and front brakes.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

With the above advice, maybe your time and $$$ for this Sun Classic G3 would be better spent in doing a clean-up, spiff-up type of restoration. New wires cables etc. Sure....it only goes 10mph.....but it's a fine looking 10mph!!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #9
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Hopefully my insight can be more of a grounding rod than a damper.
The subject is a 35yr old cart. With 35 yr old technology and structure.
The target speed and performance you state would challenge even the best built modern carts. That target may be set too high. Unless a complete reengineering and rebuilding of the cart is possible. You will need more than just the ability to make it go FAST. You will need to make it safe for the lives of 4 people. That means brakes and suspension redesigns.
I'm not saying it cannot be done. I'm saying go into this with eyes wide open. GL with the build.
Not to mention the $2.5K ain't gonna do it... I agree, neat looking cart, clean it up, put new batteries, wires, connections and get best with what you got. Enjoy it for what it is. No sense in putting money in a VW Bug to try to compete with a Corvette. VW Bugs are neat....
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

I agree with the above.
Wrong cart to start with. Plus that cart has factory headlights, turn, brake, and you want to tear that out? Not the thing to do. 30mph....it can be made to got that fast. Plus you want it to hold 4 people? wrong cart again. The final nail in the coffin is 2500 bucks to do it all..
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha