lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default 500cc honda 2 stroke water cooled

I sometimes watch Vasily Builds on youtube and he is building something I never knew existed. It is a 1986 Honda CR 500 which is a single cylinder water cooled 2 stroke. He is looking for 75 hp. A friend of mine way back in the 70's had a 400 cc 2 stroke yamaha dirt bike he use to let us ride. An oxymoron with a high torque low rpm 2 stroke. BUT What a hill climber. We use to do an amateur version of hill climbing competition. We had great fun.Young and dumb. Besides helmets we wore no other protective gear. Luckily no one got hurt besides some scraped skin.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 500cc honda 2 stroke water cooled

I had an 1986 CR500 and it was a beast. As a matter of fact, I had an 83 CR480, 86 CR500 & 89 CR500. That should make for an interesting build and scary fast, but it won't be very quiet around the neighborhood.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That would be my guess not too quiet. How was engine life with that set up ?
Old 10-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Just to be clear, I never had a golf cart with a CR500 engine, just motorcycles. I was racing motocross at the time. Those are good engines and hit like a hammer when you flip the throttle. I wish I'd kept one of those bikes, the open class two strokes are collectors items now.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I don't think he is putting it a golf cart either. Most of these youtubers build off road vehicles they call crosscarts. Somewhere between a go kart and a ATV. That whole vintage japan bike thing shows some real $'s
Old 10-31-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I rode a KX500 2 stroke once it was a beast, even the 250 was fast. Exactly Ray, some good hill climb videos on youtube with CR500s, they are something check them out. Guys I grew up with would go all the way up my street doing a wheelie at 60mph or something with kx500s, daily. So much power they didn't need to rev. They could make them again with direct injection they just don't yet. The only problem is if you have to shift gears its not as easy in a cart.

Someplace on youtube long ago a motocrosser made a golf cart with atv suspension, there was a video of him racing with dirt bikes. I don't recall what motor was in it, was probably a quadzilla iirc it was a 500 as well.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:48 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I see the Carsandcameras guys are now playing with a Honda CR500. What a beast
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps