lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2021, 09:16 AM   #91
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Default Re: RoyPow P-Series S5156P, S51105P, or S51160P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtollin View Post
While I decided to wait on switching to lithium, recently had some great conversations with Extreme and was quite impressed. He even tried to help me locate some batteries for my cart that weren't his. Class act. If you are not aware there is a HUGE shortage across the US for mostly 8 and 12 volt deep cycle batteries. Most from china, can't get through customs fast enough, and US companies such as Crown can't get enough cases and are 12 weeks out for delivery. If you are in need of new batteries soon, get on a waiting list. Local Club Car dealer has 53 people waiting... crazy! Their sales of $13k Lithium carts are through the roof.
I lucked out and got a fresh set not long ago. My daughter killed my other fresh set by running it too low and short charges and I forgot to check water. So I am tending to this new set like a baby because I want to sell them when I get my lithium installed.

Everything is getting in short supply...so much fun.
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #92
garolittle
Not Yet Wild

Someone mentioned this earlier regarding the regen braking issue.... RoyPow batteries are likely charged to less than their full capacity (even though the voltage meter shows 100%). If true, would not this alleviate most concerns regarding the possibility of overcharging the LiFePO4 cells via regen braking? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Gary

EDITED to correct my poor spelling
garolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:51 AM   #93
AussieInSeattle
Getting Wild

I received my S51105P yesterday.

A couple of questions for anyone that has installed the S51105P or any of the 160 packs in a club car precedent (2011):

1. Where are you installing the giant aluminum heatsink/resistor? There seems to be no room "on the frame" under the cart as they suggest - I was thinking of mounting inside the tub against one side on metal standoffs that hold it 1/2" or so off the plastic. I run the XCT500 controller and dont run much regen anyway so am hoping it doesnt get too hot. Any insights?

2. The P version of the 105Ah pack is 5 inches (12cm) longer than the regular 105Ah pack (and .75" taller) so it will extend past the wiring chase inside the tub that houses the wires that run from the dash back to the controller - that plastic "wire chase" that the plastic split tube fits into is quite tall - have not done a test fit yet, but I assume I'll need to cut all of that away? How are the 160Ah packs being installed?

Thanks!
AussieInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #94
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieInSeattle View Post
I received my S51105P yesterday.

2. The P version of the 105Ah pack is 5 inches (12cm) longer than the regular 105Ah pack (and .75" taller) so it will extend past the wiring chase inside the tub that houses the wires that run from the dash back to the controller - that plastic "wire chase" that the plastic split tube fits into is quite tall - have not done a test fit yet, but I assume I'll need to cut all of that away? How are the 160Ah packs being installed?

Thanks!
I dont have a answer to this but im wondering the same thing. I have a different brand lithium on the way but it will take up the whole battery tub on my Onward. I dont know what to do with the wires that go down the middle of the tub since I have never installed something like this before. I am assuming they have to be moved somehow? So id like to hear what others have to say...
Old 06-02-2021, 08:33 AM   #95
wiggle99
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolagt View Post
I dont have a answer to this but im wondering the same thing. I have a different brand lithium on the way but it will take up the whole battery tub on my Onward. I dont know what to do with the wires that go down the middle of the tub since I have never installed something like this before. I am assuming they have to be moved somehow? So id like to hear what others have to say...
Ditto. I ran several light/audio cables in that pathway and was considering the S51160P - didn't think about those being impacted.
wiggle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #96
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieInSeattle View Post

Thanks!
I switched about 6 months ago from a RoyPow 105 to a custom built 72v. As you mention, the RP fit in 1/2 of the battery compartment (Club Car Onward in my case). I neatly trimmed away (using a dremel) the raised "fins" on top of the divider at the bottom center of the tub. The ridge that is left is almost exactly 3/4" tall (very slightly less) once the fins are cut away, so I used 3/4" synthetic trim material to make several properly placed and sized "pads" that I screwed down (screws were countersunk so pad tops are smooth) to the flat areas of the plastic tub bottom, so that there was a uniform height surface all the way across the tub.

I used one of the lowered areas (that go about 1/2" below the flat tub bottom) as a chase to route wires to the charging port etc... below the battery. The 3/4" elevation plus the 1/2" lowered area is enough to get wire bundle across. For neatness I ended up extending the tail-light wiring on the passenger side a foot or two IIRC so that could be routed around the end of the battery.

All this resulted in the battery actually sitting about 1.5" lower than the original RoyPow 105 did (using the Club Car bracket RoyPow supplied), while still not sitting on the bottom of the tub where water could possibly accumulate and potentially cause rust etc... to the steel battery enclosure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery tub bottom.jpg (144.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg battery top view.jpg (97.3 KB, 0 views)
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #97
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
I switched about 6 months ago from a RoyPow 105 to a custom built 72v. As you mention, the RP fit in 1/2 of the battery compartment (Club Car Onward in my case). I neatly trimmed away (using a dremel) the raised "fins" on top of the divider at the bottom center of the tub. The ridge that is left is exactly 3/4" tall once the fins are cut away, so I used 3/4" synthetic trim material to make several properly placed and sized "pads" that I screwed down (screws were countersunk so pad tops are smooth) to the flat areas of the plastic tub bottom, so that there was a uniform height surface all the way across the tub.

I used one of the lowered areas (that go about 1/2" below the flat tub bottom) as a chase to route wires to the charging port etc... below the battery. The 3/4" elevation plus the 1/2" lowered area is enough to get wire bundle across. For neatness I ended up extending the tail-light wiring on the passenger side a foot or two IIRC so that could be routed around the end of the battery.

All this resulted in the battery actually sitting about 1.5" lower than the original RoyPow 105 did (using the Club Car bracket RoyPow supplied), while still not sitting on the bottom of the tub where water could possibly accumulate and potentially cause rust etc... to the steel battery enclosure.
Thanks! I was wondering if there was enough room to run the wires under the battery so they didnt have to be extended some how. Do you happen to have any pics of it? What/where did you get the material did you use to fill the voids? I have Onward like yours that im about to tackle a Navitas 5kw 600a swamp and shove in a 72v Extreme team 150ah.

EDIT: You got the edit in while I was posting lol, thank you for the pics!

What AH is that 72v? I am waiting to get my 150 in to see how much space i have left in the tub. I hope i have that much for some other electronics.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #98
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Thanks! I was wondering if there was enough room to run the wires under the battery so they didnt have to be extended some how. Do you happen to have any pics of it? What/where did you get the material did you use to fill the voids? I have Onward like yours that im about to tackle a Navitas 5kw 600a swamp and shove in a 72v Extreme team 150ah.

EDIT: You got the edit in while I was posting lol, thank you for the pics!

What AH is that 72v? I am waiting to get my 150 in to see how much space i have left in the tub. I hope i have that much for some other electronics.
120ah. I wanted 10" of open storage space (no cables or terminals) on driver side, and was able to just barely get it. MFG custom sized enclosure to make it happen.

EDIT: Not sure how wide (front to rear, cart-wise) an Extreme Team 150ah is, but if it is wider than mine you'll have to do some extensive modification to the tub bottom (see in red - I spec'd mine to fit between these with about 3/4" to spare), and / or lift it up higher (if you have the height available under the seat - mine is 2.2" below seat bottom).

EDIT: For reference, the pack is exactly 10.0" in width.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery tub bottom markup.jpg (229.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #99
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
120ah. I wanted 10" of open storage space (no cables or terminals) on driver side, and was able to just barely get it. MFG custom sized enclosure to make it happen.

EDIT: Not sure how wide (front to rear, cart-wise) an Extreme Team 150ah is, but if it is wider than mine you'll have to do some extensive modification to the tub bottom (see in red - I spec'd mine to fit between these with about 3/4" to spare), and / or lift it up higher (if you have the height available under the seat - mine is 2.2" below seat bottom).
I was at first looking at the 48v and either 200 or 150ah thinking I may want the 150 so I had some extra room but was torn because I wanted max range with all this work being done. Last min I decided to go 72v and went 150ah thinking i'd have the extra room still. I didn't realize the 72v versions are bigger and that a 150ah 72v was the biggest one that would fit in a onward lol. Sooo once I get it I will have a better idea but they list it at 36x11.5x10.8 in. What is the size of yours?
Old 06-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #100
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
I was at first looking at the 48v and either 200 or 150ah thinking I may want the 150 so I had some extra room but was torn because I wanted max range with all this work being done. Last min I decided to go 72v and went 150ah thinking i'd have the extra room still. I didn't realize the 72v versions are bigger and that a 150ah 72v was the biggest one that would fit in a onward lol. Sooo once I get it I will have a better idea but they list it at 36x11.5x10.8 in. What is the size of yours?
29.25 (L) x 9.6 (H) x 10.0 (W)

My preference was 100ah, but at the time sourcing the 100ah cells I wanted was difficult for the mfg. so went with 120ah. I wanted to keep the size / weight down since range was going to be overkill even with 100ah (at least for my purposes, esp. considering the charge speed @ 20a). Range on flat ground here is between 70-85 miles (w/out getting below 2.8v / cell) depending on how aggressive the driving is, so 100ah would have been plenty for me.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium