lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2020, 11:21 PM   #1
tdw297
Not Yet Wild

Default Kawasaki Zx600 Engine Swap

Long story short, I used to own an electiec golf cart. It sat outside and the motor and batteries went bad. I decided that an engine swap would be the way to go.

Fast forward today and I have an 84 hp 4 cylinder engine that puts out 11,000 rpm. My main issue is my need for reverse. I plan on using this all the time and my usage would require this to have reverse. I havent seen many reverse gearboxes out there, especially ones that can hold up to that kind of power. Even ones that do are well over $1000.

I have considered using a second small engine, possible the Predator 212, as a reversing engine. I would have to put the street bike engine in neutral when I want to reverse and put the Predator engine backwards. When I am going forward, there is a 1 directional clutch to prevent spinning it at 11,000 rpm in the wrong direction. The problem with this is my lack of space for a second engine. I could make space for it, but I don't want to have to come to that point if there is a decent solution.

I was curious to see if any of you have tackled this problem or know of anything that I could do. I dont want to have to use a second engine if there are cheap alternatives. I have already spent enough money on this project and dont wish to spend another $1000+ on this.

Thanks for your help!
tdw297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
chrisr32
Gone Wild

Default Re: Kawasaki Zx600 Engine Swap

You did not say what you were doing regarding the rear axle, but if you were going with a live axle could you use a separate big sprocket on the axle and use an electric motor with a small sprocket with a one-way clutch to give a good gear ratio? If the battery or batteries are used just to start your bike engine this may be enough battery for occasional reverse.

https://www.gmnbt.com/one-way-sprag-clutch/
chrisr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
tdw297
Not Yet Wild

The motor was also bad on it. I took out the controller and old electronics that were in it before. I plan on just using a solid live axle, possibly from an ATV. It would be cheapest to just use a 6.5 hp engine.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 03-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #4
chrisr32
Gone Wild

Could you use just a electric motor that may not be for carts but would be enough to reverse your cart with a 6:1 ratio? Seems like this would be easier to fab and take up less space since you need a battery anyway to start the engine. Just trying to think outside the box.

In my cart it was electric as well and converted it to a Tecumseh 10hp, live axle, go-cart forward/reverse transmission on a swing arm and works well. What I suggested with the electric motor may be a workaround for mine as well allowing a more powerful motor since my transmission is only good for up to 13hp.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

On something I saw a starter motor (for a car) with a belt pulley on it. They set it up with a loose belt and it tilts. When the handle is pushed it tilts to tighten the belt and also hits a switch to a solenoid to run the motor. That way they could slip the belt to ease into reverse and it was loose otherwise.

Some people run rice rocket engines on stock Yamaha transmissions. The key is you never drop the clutch. If you leave it in gear and drive around they work ok, then shift very slowly. With the wide range of rpm they didn't shift much. They were running dunes with it. The gears in there are like 1 inch wide, though it does not have posi.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
tdw297
Not Yet Wild

I ended up picking up a harbor freight Predator 6.5 hp engine that was heavily on sale. I will try to use a 1 way clutch and see how that works. My plan is to have a rocker switch on the dash that has forward/reverse. I will add an electric start kit to it and when it flips to the reverse side, the engine starts. When the switch is flipped to the forward side, it cuts the power to the small engine, reducing the gas waste while in forward gears.

Does anyone know of a short 1 second 1 pulse relay that I could use? I dont want to continuously supply the starter with power when in reverse. I just need a second or two of power and then shut it off.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 03-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
tdw297
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw297 View Post
I ended up picking up a harbor freight Predator 6.5 hp engine that was heavily on sale. I will try to use a 1 way clutch and see how that works. My plan is to have a rocker switch on the dash that has forward/reverse. I will add an electric start kit to it and when it flips to the reverse side, the engine starts. When the switch is flipped to the forward side, it cuts the power to the small engine, reducing the gas waste while in forward gears.

Does anyone know of a short 1 second 1 pulse relay that I could use? I dont want to continuously supply the starter with power when in reverse. I just need a second or two of power and then shut it off.

Thanks,
Tyler
This is what I was planning on getting.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283755546469

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 03-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #8
chrisr32
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
On something I saw a starter motor (for a car) with a belt pulley on it. They set it up with a loose belt and it tilts. When the handle is pushed it tilts to tighten the belt and also hits a switch to a solenoid to run the motor. That way they could slip the belt to ease into reverse and it was loose otherwise.
Sho305 has a good idea on the car starter, in manual transmission cars I have used the starter to get off the road when the engine failed. You may want to consider other options vs. the 212 which will take up a lot of space. The high torque starters are small and have a lot of power - just trying to give you options.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #9
tdw297
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr32 View Post
Sho305 has a good idea on the car starter, in manual transmission cars I have used the starter to get off the road when the engine failed. You may want to consider other options vs. the 212 which will take up a lot of space. The high torque starters are small and have a lot of power - just trying to give you options.
I am considering that option now. I am still not sure yet what I plan on doing. I am weighing the financial and practicality sides of things.

Do you know of a short 1 second 1 pulse relay that I could use? I dont want to continuously supply the starter with power when in reverse. I just need a second or two of power and then shut it off. If I can find something that would work, it would make this much easier.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 03-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #10
chrisr32
Gone Wild

If you are looking for just a bump or so this remote starter may be an option. You could also use a horn button to a relay for bump type action.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...UaAiNYEALw_wcB

https://www.autozone.com/steering-wh...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps