lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #11
CubmasterJosh
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: How to build a $650 killer 460

Awesome reply sir thank you !
CubmasterJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2019, 12:28 AM   #12
CubmasterJosh
Not Yet Wild

13 and a little passed turns of the driven clutch to one wheel rotation. So stock Ezgo gears I think I recall seeing 13.3:1 is the stockratio.

Much thanks for that info sir.

-Josh
CubmasterJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I should have noted if you don't mind losing some top end kick you can delete the high ratio rockers and billet cover saving about $200. In this case you have the VC 460 and the adjustable main jet for about $450.Head porting and valve pocket opening still work well with the adjustable main jet.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I know the 460 stock is a good engine, but having worked on clones in a repair shop I have to say with all the "Goodies" already built for you -- the valve train even with new rockers arms is still the weakest point. The valves and retainers plus push rods need an upgrade right out of the box in my opinion.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #15
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

My bad I am at 300 hours + on my slip lock retained stock valves and my NR 6500 rpm kit is in my dining room being shelf tested. I think the VC 460 comes with the upgraded push rods and maybe you can ask Aaron for the longer ones for the NR rockers as the do list them.BUT the engine did past my bullet proof test. On a 90 degree + day run 4+ miles @ 5200 rpms + and then another 2+ miles in stop and go situations with the hard run engine. If you don't have to walk home or wait for a cool down period it passes. Of course if it comes apart before you finish the test you didn't build it right. P.S. My cart passed this test before adding the extra cooling tin on the cylinder head recommended by Shepard that has now been added. P.P.S. There were earlier test were the fuel pump could not keep up and did have to walk or be towed home but not due to engine failure itself. Shepard may want to share the cooling tin part # for this VC 460 build as it is not included with the engine.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I found the cooling tin I used from boats.net part # 6F8673532097ED. So much for the 2 supplier idea. It wraps around the underside of the cylinder head to provide xtra cooling to the exhaust valve area. Along with Shepard's comment all the racing suppliers for both clones and Vtwins recommend billet flywheels and billet rods for 5000 rpm+ operation. Another noted weak point is the offset crank keys that probably most of the clone and vanguard carters are running. P.S. I have never removed my flywheel since the engine was assembled by VC in 2014 so I don't know what kind of crank key is in there, BUT I haven't managed to shear it yet.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

A side benefit with the shaft mounted roller rockers and billet valve cover is the big noise reduction in the valve train. GONE is the clones ting ting ting rocker arm sound.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #18
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Rooting around my parts stash I came upon stock clone versus VC 460 push rods. Not only are the VC units much larger in diameter they are also constructed of the stronger chrome moly steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0714.jpg (841.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

What engine you choose can change how the cart works, plus what you do to that engine:

The 625 and a clone twin you may not get high rpm though some parts are out there for the clone twin, while the 460 will scream right out of the box. This makes a difference in your top speed. My 420 lifan has the vegas rod and cam, and the head has been done, 32mm carb, and has 1.3 ratio rockers, etc (very similar to a 460), and I hit 41mph gps on the road with 22s and stock 13:1 G9 gears. You can't do that without the high rpm parts like pushrods, billet rod, usually cam, big carb, and so on. Though not the best idea to run that rpm sustained (5K plus), you should get high speed gears if you plan to run roads. But with a lower rpm engine you will need HS gears anyway to get 40mph at 4-4.5K rpm they run. While a 600cc+ engine is larger and will have more power anyway to pull HS gears and they run great that way. Really my 420 would pull HS gears no problem as well. I don't run high speed much on trails so the stock gears work better for me at typically 30mph and less, and I can still burst high speed for a short distance if I want to and get to the next trail or turn. Just saying you should look at how you want to use the cart when you pick what engine or built engine you plan to end up with. Another issue is the cart, even mine with the front carefully aligned via testing, it gets touchy at 40mph. And if you have stock 18, or 22, or 24 or larger tires will change your speeds/gearing also. Have to say I also have a stock 420 clone in a G9 and it would pull HS gears I think easily, it has about twice the power of the tired stock engine and runs like a top. The built 420 will get a lot more rpm and does make more power at mid and high rpm, the stock one dies at 4300 with valve float at 31mph gps on 22s. It has good power up to about 25mph, far more than stock, and runs all stock rebuilt clutches other than a cut secondary sheave for towing.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #20
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubmasterJosh View Post
Total cart newb here.

I've been reading and researching here a lot lately.

I've got a project in the works. I have a donor 2001 Ezgo TXT gas cart. (2001.5 and up 4 bolt steering style)

I am missing a bunch of trinkets for suspension but I've got a line on a 4 bolt style rolling chassis electric cart.

I haven't come to any decision on exact motor yet. 460 seems most bang for buck.

625 seems ideal for torque and good charging without s/g. But I have a s/g

I have seen a few vtwins for sale at semi reasonable prices

I also have a G16 cart with rusted out frame rails but the swing arm is in great shape so I am planning to use that to fab my own cradle.

I am still collecting parts for this build

Going to do a 6" lift and run the 22" tires I got with the ezgo.

I think I have recently discovered my rear end has high speed gears in it. I marked the brake drum and rotating the driven clutch about 6 5/8 turns makes the brake drum complete one rotation. Guessing that mean 6:1 in the rear end ?

Now I am not necessarily wanting to build a beast mode cart. I have a 10 and 8 year old that I want to be able to tool around on it.

Strictly a neighborhood cruiser at this point. No hills around here in Florida

I am curious what you experienced folks would do in my shoes. My gut tells me I'd be fine putting a Predator in this and running it stock with governor. My brain says predator is a waste of money when the 460 is $400

The other side of my gut says go with a 625 and have a cart that does wheelies and 50 mph (or whatever ridiculous top end should be)

Funds are always an issue, lol. I could save up and manage a 625 and a new clutch though I think.

Running a 460 stock with a s/g seems like the most reasonable thing.

Appreciate any input y'all may have on choosing a motor.

-Josh
IMHO The best choice would be to just buy the 460 and don't add any speed equipment and run the carts stock governor or even add a throttle stop to limit the speed potential. Just SO much a better engine than the stock predator for a very few more $'s. Just that you have to assemble it BUT no surprises on how its put together. P.S. I have the old hot rodder mentality "While you have it apart anyway why not do this --- ???"
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps