lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2021, 03:10 PM   #1
SpiderSpartan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 04 CC DS Series Speed

I recently picked up a ClubCar DS on Facebook Marketplace. This is my first golf cart so I'm trying to figure everything out about this one and it's a little overwhelming. Most of my googling seems to be taking me to parts for sale instead of information.

What I know so far:
1) I have a 2004 ClubCar DS (SN: AA0442-448827)
2) It's a series motor (no run/tow switch, no speed sensor, lever F/R switch)
3) The cart does about 8mph up hill and up to 20mph long, steep downhill.

What I want to find out:
1) Are there any cheap/free ways to speed this thing up? I've seen some mentions of high speed magnets, but I'm guessing that won't work on mine, since I don't have a speed sensor. I also saw a video about bypassing a solenoid and resistor coil between the motor and controller, but I don't think my cart has that either.
2) Does my cart have a speed code? I can't tell if these are a thing on the DS or just the IQ models.
3) What else should I be looking at on this cart? Any good beginner resources? I've done tons of work on small engines and random electronics, but not a lot of electric motor experience.

TIA
SpiderSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 04 CC DS Series Speed

8mph seems about right up a hill. 12-14mph would be about max on a long flat pavement.

Is it 36v or 48v? You can look at the batteries, a 36v would have 3 caps per battery and 48v would have 4 caps per battery.

A cheap speed upgrade if you’re 48v would be a 36v motor. Or go to www.revolutiongolfcars.com and look at the upgrade packages. You can call David hicks at revolution and he can steer you the right direction. Great guy to do business with, I can’t say anything bad about him at all.

Ultimately the path you go depends on your budget and goals. I’ve had a 48v series cart that would cruise ~30mph and spin 25” mud tires. It all depends on your wallet.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
SpiderSpartan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Is it 36v or 48v? You can look at the batteries, a 36v would have 3 caps per battery and 48v would have 4 caps per battery.
Thanks! It's 48V (6 x 8V). Would a 36V motor help on the hills or just on the flats? I don't have much for upgrades right now, but I don't want to spend very much just to come back when I do have funds and replace a bunch of stuff again.

Does the stock controller get pretty much everything it can out of the series ClubCar 3.1HP motor? I've made custom circuit boards before and I'm mulling the idea of engineering my own controller.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:55 AM   #4
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

For your series cart a controller can give you more amps which would help with uphill speed some but won’t give you overall more speed. Basic sense is Amps = Torque and Voltage = Speed. A 36V motor was made to run about the same RPM as your 48v but when you run that 36V motor on 48V’s it spins that motor faster. If you search around on here some I’m sure you could find threads with peoples results doing that.

It’s definitely one of the cheaper routes you can go for more speed if you can find a cheap used motor. If you can’t find a cheap motor really think about what you want the cart to do and stash away some cash for it.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
For your series cart a controller can give you more amps which would help with uphill speed some but won’t give you overall more speed. Basic sense is Amps = Torque and Voltage = Speed. A 36V motor was made to run about the same RPM as your 48v but when you run that 36V motor on 48V’s it spins that motor faster. If you search around on here some I’m sure you could find threads with peoples results doing that.

It’s definitely one of the cheaper routes you can go for more speed if you can find a cheap used motor. If you can’t find a cheap motor really think about what you want the cart to do and stash away some cash for it.
What he said

My advice is to figure out your performance expectations and buy for that expectation, and buy once. While just replacing the controller or motor or FNR won’t get all the performance potential out of that part, having a long term plan will benefit greatly in the long run.

Personally I’d factor in price of a lithium upgrade depending on the health and age of your batteries. Once you own a lithium cart you’ll never go back to lead acid...
Old 05-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
SpiderSpartan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys. Do you think it's worth talking to my local Club Car dealer about buying DIY upgrades/kits, or am I better off going directly 3rd party and private sellers?

I'm looking at a D&D Motor upgrade kit right now. $1300-1400 with shipping. I might have to wait a bit on that though.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #7
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Call the site sponsors on here. I slowly did all my upgrades through Revolution and Carts Unlimited, you will get good pricing and help, if needed, from both. Eventually with motor and controller your going to upgrade smaller stuff too like solenoid, cables, FnR, etc and you can do that stuff first which is what I did then when your ready to drop the money on controller and motor it’s already done.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Once you’re ready and have goals in mind, I’d call David at revolution. 706-431-3917

He can set you up with anything and everything you need and not screw you around. I’ve actually tried to buy from him and he’s referred me elsewhere more than he’s actually sold me, rather than buy from them himself, mark it up and then sell it to me. that’s the kind of honest business he runs. And he stands behind what he sells both during and after installation. This isn’t a paid advertisement, just my experiences with dealing with him
Old 05-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #9
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

David @ revolution is the man !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Thanks for the love guys, and to the Original poster, I'd be more than willing to chat with you and help you make a decision.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, cc ds, series, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car