lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2024, 03:40 PM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 1991 G9 Resurrection

You might want to check how the valve to valve guide fit is. If the guide fit is loose from lack of oil you are going to have issues. P.S. Also note on the intake side there is a valve seal that is probably bad.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2024, 07:29 AM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If youíre that far into it I think Iíd tear it down the rest of the way and check the rest of the engine over well. Any parts you need for it you can get oem stuff from plowmans. The aftermarket stuff is trash donít even bother
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 07:46 AM   #13
ScubaCamper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If youíre that far into it I think Iíd tear it down the rest of the way and check the rest of the engine over well. Any parts you need for it you can get oem stuff from plowmans. The aftermarket stuff is trash donít even bother
You must be monitoring my garage! Thatís exactly what we decided to do :)
ScubaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 08:44 PM   #14
ScubaCamper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I pulled the motor out today & cracked it open. I was relatively pleased with the inside of the crankcase - it was in better shape than I expected. While the valve area was rife with sludge, the crankcase was much cleaner with only a small mount of dark, thick oil.
Walking through the service manual, I measured each internal part. The crankshaft' Crank Pin outside diameter failed inspection, but just barely (tolerance = 31.95mm-31.97mm. Measurement = about 31.90mm).

While it's technically in need of replacement, it's out by such a small margin - what would happen if it wasn't replaced? Would it eventually rattle everything loose / wear the parts out prematurely? With a new crankshaft being $250, is there a way to get around replacing it?

I see there are 3 different bearings available but I can't determine the dimensions:
J38-11656-00-00
J38-11656-10-00
J38-11656-20-00

Anyone intimately familiar with these?
Old 07-08-2024, 12:17 PM   #15
ScubaCamper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

According to the service manual, I'm supposed to locate a "1" or "2" on the crank web. I have looked this thing over several times, even with a magnifier and I cannot see any markings whatsoever.
I'm also supposed to find a "0" or "1" "IN INK" on the side of the end of the connecting rod overlapping it and the mating cap. I see nothing there either. (I'm not sure why they decided to mark this with "ink" - haven't they ever heard of stamping or punching?

I can't find anything out there to guide me regarding a situation like this so I decided to measure the connecting rod clearance with the crank journal. I placed a piece of Plastigage and torqued the cap down to 29 ft-lbs, as per the service manual. The result: .051mm of clearance. The service manual says the tolerance is between 0.020-0.050mm. I am out of spec by 0.001mm. (Is this within the acceptable margin of error?! lol)
Technically, I should replace the crankshaft and/or the bearings but this brings be right back to the previous question. I still don't know which set to use.
I did come across this infographic on AutoZone's website (https://www.autozone.com/znetrgs/rep...5280049711.gif) which seems to indicate the following interpretation:
Brown (J38-11656-00-00) = Thick
Black (J38-11656-10-00) = Thicker
Blue (J38-11656-20-00) = Thickest
Unless I'm misinterpreting it.....
I'd really like to hear from one of y'all seasoned veterans if possible; I want to save my neighbor some money but not if it means I have to tear it all apart again just to replace it later (...and probably other parts that break as a result!).
Old 07-10-2024, 07:35 AM   #16
ScubaCamper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Anyone?
Old 07-10-2024, 09:22 AM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Personally .001mm I probably would just run it as it is.

As for which sized bearings, I donít really know. Don plowman would probably be the most knowledgeable and probably has the bearings and whatever else you need in stock. One stop shop
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 09:06 AM   #18
ScubaCamper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Personally .001mm I probably would just run it as it is.

As for which sized bearings, I donít really know. Don plowman would probably be the most knowledgeable and probably has the bearings and whatever else you need in stock. One stop shop
Thanks for the input! I posed both sides of the argument to the owner and she is going to pony up and buy a new crankshaft. This is most likely for the best, I think.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha