lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2024, 04:46 PM   #1
ufjaz
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgrade From Halogen to LED Headlights

I have a 2000 CC DS with the original factory halogen headlights that mount from the inside of the body. I wish to upgrade to LED headlights and taillights. However, all the kits I find online for the DS have headlight housings with an excessively large flange that doesn't look like the OEM and uses 4 screws to mount from the outside. The fit to the body lines looks poor to me. Altho these kits are reasonable at $60 to $80.

I have found some kits with the lamp assemblies that look like OEM factory, but all with halogen bulbs. Also, I have found a couple of kits that look like OEM style assemblies with LEDs, unfortunately, they are priced in the $250 range. I think that is a little unreasonable.

I was even considering buying the cheaper aftermarket LED lamps and try to figure out how to mount the LED lights into my OEM housing. Alternately, I guess I could buy 2 LED bulbs ($16) as a direct replacement for my halogens, but I'm not sure how satisfactory the results will be.

Can anybody suggest a solution? Thanks for reading.
ufjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2024, 05:19 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Upgrade From Halogen to LED Headlights

A set of good LED headlights won't be cheap. The cheap Chinese ones fail quickly. I tried replacement LED bulbs once and they did not work well at all - because they were not at the focal point of the reflectors. I ended up buying good aftermarket replacements for my Yamaha cart. Much brighter than the original Halogens that I had. I don't use the headlights all that often but the halogens were useless.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 08:55 AM   #3
jaymz
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufjaz View Post
I have a 2000 CC DS with the original factory halogen headlights that mount from the inside of the body. I wish to upgrade to LED headlights and taillights. However, all the kits I find online for the DS have headlight housings with an excessively large flange that doesn't look like the OEM and uses 4 screws to mount from the outside. The fit to the body lines looks poor to me. Altho these kits are reasonable at $60 to $80.

I have found some kits with the lamp assemblies that look like OEM factory, but all with halogen bulbs. Also, I have found a couple of kits that look like OEM style assemblies with LEDs, unfortunately, they are priced in the $250 range. I think that is a little unreasonable.

I was even considering buying the cheaper aftermarket LED lamps and try to figure out how to mount the LED lights into my OEM housing. Alternately, I guess I could buy 2 LED bulbs ($16) as a direct replacement for my halogens, but I'm not sure how satisfactory the results will be.

Can anybody suggest a solution? Thanks for reading.
Just about any 4" x 6" headlight will work in place of the OEM halogen housings. I have these on my cart and have been happy with them.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 02:39 AM   #4
ufjaz
Not Yet Wild

I chose the solution you did - except I purchased these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'm gonna have to do some rewiring tho. My stock wiring only accommodates headlight/taillight on/off, and turn signal lights. The lights I bought have hi/low beam headlights, daylight running lights, and turn signals. So I guess I'll need a high/low beam switch. I don't know if I need DRLs. They would just run down the batteries quicker.

Do you have any installation recommendations?
Old 07-09-2024, 08:42 AM   #5
jaymz
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufjaz View Post
I chose the solution you did - except I purchased these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'm gonna have to do some rewiring tho. My stock wiring only accommodates headlight/taillight on/off, and turn signal lights. The lights I bought have hi/low beam headlights, daylight running lights, and turn signals. So I guess I'll need a high/low beam switch. I don't know if I need DRLs. They would just run down the batteries quicker.

Do you have any installation recommendations?
Mine were mostly plug & play as the cart was already wired for high beams. My voltage reducer is activated with the key switch, so I just wired the DRL to the 12v output from the reducer, but soon decided that they were an unnecessary battery drain and ended up disconnecting them.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 07:08 PM   #6
ufjaz
Not Yet Wild

I've got some questions about the current draw of these LED headlights. I need to buy a 48V to 12V voltage reducer. But most of the reducers I've seen are 10A or 15A. This corresponds to 120W or 180W actual capability at 12V. Now my new headlights advertise a 120W rating, yours was 80W - no info on actual current draw or resistance. Questions:

1. These headlight ratings are per one headlight - not the pair?
2. Being LEDs, I suspect the advertised 120W headlight rating was an incandescent luminosity equivalent rating (i.e. the LED brightness same as a 120W incandescent bulb)?
3. A 120W incandescent bulb would draw 10A at 12V. If so, I usually estimate the LED current draw as about 1/7 of the incandescent bulb. That would correlate to 1.5A for the LED. Do you agree?
4. If my assumptions are correct, then there would be no issue with a 10A voltage reducer with my LED headlights. However, using my estimates my halogen headlights must only draw 4A each to work with a 10A voltage reducer.
5. Am I just overthinking this whole thing?

Do you have any thoughts on the voltage reducer capacity? Thanks for any input.
Old 07-10-2024, 07:52 AM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I imagine that if you give David Hicks (Site Sponsor) a call he could not only answer your questions but also fix you right up

www.revolutiongolfcars.com
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car