lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Finally got a G1!

Well I finally got a G1 after looking for a decent one... And gave it to my daughter for her 14th birthday. Hard to find a gas powered G1 that runs in Vegas. Best part of all didn't cost me anything more then gas money to go get it. Worked a trade with a guy. Well he told me if I had gas and a battery it should fire up. Well by the time he got off work and I made it there to pick it up it was after midnight.
I got it home and in the morning yanked the carb and cleaned it. Threw the battery on the charger and noticed there was no oil injection setup. I tossed in some 2 stroke primed the carb and the dang thing took off like a rocket. I was more then impressed. Compression is awesome at 125psi hot.
We have been having a lot of fun working on it together. We stripped off the lights, stereo and speakers the PO installed since it was a wiring nightmare. We will add all that back on later but for now it needed to go. This thing is so ugly it isn't even funny. But it runs great has nice seats and she can bash it all she wants for right now till we make it pretty.
Future plans are a Pachanga lift (working with him about figuring out a steering solution for G1's) and 22" tires, Paint it a nice orange with black trimmings. Clutch work to get the performance were we want it for the type of use (camping playing not working or having to haul a bunch of people).
Now onto what needs to be done. Reverse doesn't work. Didn't take long to figure out it was the reverse solenoid. The key and ignition are so worn it's a pain to use at all. And only one back brake works. While it's a ton of fun to lean crank the wheel stab the brake while holding the gas in the dirt to make that sucker spin on one back tire it's not safe. It does have a home made top that might actually stay but I'll replace the crappy screen material on the top with some diamond plate.
Now onto the pictures (Last warning it's really ugly)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131104_164213.jpg (150.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131104_164225.jpg (157.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131104_164239.jpg (118.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131104_164030.jpg (152.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131104_164313.jpg (142.8 KB, 0 views)
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
danman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Finally got a G1!

Thats great that your daughter is working on it with you
I wouldn't trade my G1 for anything, as they are some of the toughest built carts I have seen. Mine is 30 years old and still cruises through the woods and neighborhood turning heads the whole way
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Field6565
Gone Wild

Congrats! These old G1s are great carts. I own two of them myself. You'll have fun with it, that's for sure. Post some pics when you get it together.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Cool man!! She sure looks happy!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Oh she's beyond happy. She's a great girl and has really earned this cart. And honestly I feel like it's not enough. We've been moving out of state and she's really stepped up helping me and her mom with the other kids.
On to cart related news. Didn't work on it too much today cause I can't keep her off of it.
She decided she wanted to take the top off for now till it's going better. It's not charging the battery so she keeps it on a charger when she's not driving it. I'm going to mess with the adjustment on the voltage regulator this evening to see if that helps. I don't have high expectations. Looks like before I spring for body and paint I get to order an ignition key and switch, solenoid for reverse (probably order them both just cause I'd rather replace them both now and have a spare for later) and a S/G rebuild kit.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Great job! And glad to see "family" projects here. Looking to do the same thing with my son next year. Keep the pics coming! And good luck.....but most important.....HAVE FUN!!!

Keep us in the loop, we like to help fellow G1 owners as much as we can!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Here's my advice for you at this point.....

1. Get reverse working, I have some used parts if you need?
2. Get key switch replaced, go new on that, not expensive
3. Get all the mechanicals figured out
*clutches *carb *reeds *air filter *oil premix ratio *brakes

Once you get the cart up to snuff, then it's time to "modify". You can get it to run 22-25 mph pretty easily with 22" tires, although you might want a better secondary clutch and spring. Also, the tires you use will greatly affect the handling of the cart. My suggestion is to go with atv type tires, they are rated for real "off road" and "high speed" use and tend to ride better and last longer. If you don't drive in mud, then get smoother tires. I went with 489's in 23x7 up front and 22x10 in the rear. Using skinnier front tires helps with steering and handling.

Lift? Well.....here's where I'm going to give a different opinion than most. I used to race atv's and understand how important the front steering is for safety and comfort. The stock G1 front end has neither. It's a single a arm setup that has very little travel and a harsh ride and doesn't steer well at all off road. If you lift it you'll only make it worse. If you try to use longer travel atv type shocks you'll end up with lots of "bump steer" and a very skittish steering at speeds over 15 mph. At 25 mph it's a death trap. I tried the Jakes 6" lift with 3 different sets of shocks, and could never get it to make me feel safe. I tried different toe settings, camber settings, shock settings.....never could get it worked out. I ended up spending a couple months designing an atv front end for it.....works flawlessly, really it couldn't be better. It steers straight all the time, handles excellent, has a super soft ride, and is off road proven....it also came with disc brakes, although not installed yet. It took some trial and error and lots of hours of fab. I'm pretty sure I could duplicate it in a fraction of time now though.

I might catch flack here from the "Pachanga Lift" supporters, but here's the straight....the single a arm is just not a "off road" suspension setup. Now if you are riding around the yard, campground roads...you might be ok. I'm not saying it's not any good.....I'm just saying it has flaws and there is a much better alternative. Sorry guys.

If you need any help feel free to use the forum here and all the G1 guys will help out, they are all great guys and know their stuff. They all helped me countless times....and still do! Thanks guys!

Anytime you can always send me a PM and I can give you my number, always glad to help a fellow enthusiast!!!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Slo I was reading your threads a lot lately like I said on your thread. As far as lift I built my own pachanga style with trx400 ex shocks. It's only single a arm but I don't have all that much bump steer on my G2 I have it pretty dialed in. I'm not going to be using that stock steering thats for sure. She likes the way my G2 rides and she's driven it around the campgrounds and yard and likes it. It's cheap easy and quick to fab and I've dialed it in before. Might go atv down the road but I doubt she'll need anything that hard core.
I also used 489's on my G2. I've got 24x10x10 on all corners but good tip on the skinnies up front. I got mine brand new for the total price of putting a spare HDD I had laying around in my buddies computer and getting it back up and going. I deffinetly want to get your opinions on clutching.
Today I made her take my trusty garmin out for a ride and the ol' Nuvi said new max speed of 18mph so really not bad at all.
When I first fired it up I threw in some 32:1 I use in my 250 (ATC's for LIFE) and it ran really good. I just filled it up with 75:1 and it gained about 1.5mph on the top end but it feels like it's not getting there any where near as fast as the 32:1 so I'm sure I need to get a new plug and get ready to jet it a bit.
Back to clutches I'm pretty sure I'm going to order the plowmans whole setup including the pipe. Then I was going to change the spring in the front. I did inspect the clutches and am very happy how nice it all looks inside. The rear sheave ramps are in great shape the drive clutch looks fantastic inside and over all it's in really good shape. Just a bit dusty from sitting and the horrible paint job from the PO. PM me some prices on those parts you have and lets see if we can work something out.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yeah I do a lot of off road driving, ditches, hills, mud, etc. lots of trail riding. I use it to hunt so I need something that will go anywhere....well almost anywhere... LOL

Ok, so clutching. I used the Plowman's performance setup also, the whole kit for the G1. Don will get you dialed in with jetting. The secondary clutch spring I have is the red one, the white one is way too stiff. As far as the primary clutch, unless you have the 94c Duster style clutch, there's not much you can do with it. The stock Yami primary clutches just don't have any parts avail for tuning. I tried shimming the spring....that just prevents the clutch from shifting all the way, it will bottom out on the shim. If you can find a longer spring, that will change engagement rpm, but good luck with that one. I'd just do all the Plowman's stuff and see how you like it. That's what I have on mine. I just rode mine down in the hills of Southern Ohio and it climbed every hill I asked it to, so it should give you everything your daughter will use. Top speed will come with the jet and muffler change. You need to drill out the center hole of the governor arm and let it just bypass it. You'll find a "sticky" on that here. Stock these carts can run 22mph easily, and if you have enough room they'll go 25-28 mph, but it'll take a 1/4 mile to get there. To get more "power" you'll have to do some milling of the head, port and polish, and change to a 30-32mm mx style carb. Also, when you take the muffler off, look in the exhaust manifold and you'll see a little butterfly valve. Get a screwdriver and remove the tiny screws on the butterfly and remove it. Leave the center shaft in, but remove the butterfly part. That eliminates some restriction.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Here's a short video of her driving it the day we got it running. We keep it over at a friends house. It's a small town where she can drive it to the store and get us drinks if we want. Great town but any ways on to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oepU...ature=youtu.be

Tags
cart, daughter, golf, project, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha