lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo Marathon Cutting Out

I have a 1991 Ezgo Marathon Electric. Lately you would need to press the gas pedal 2-5 times and the solenoid would click and the Cart would go. Now you have to wiggle the F&R switch back and fourth and stomp on the gas and you will be lucky if the solenoid clicks once the solenoid clicks you can go for a short time and it will just stop moving. At one time today I hit the pedal hard enough so the solenoid clicked every time and it rode smooth, Then all of a sudden I would be back to stomping on the gas and rocking the cart and the F&R switch and it would go again.

I think there is a loose wire somewhere.

What should I do first to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Matt
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Ezgo Marathon Cutting Out

sounds like the FnR may be going bad...look at the post/contacts all the wires are going to on the FnR and look for burnt spots on the board they are connected to...thats an easy tell that its going bad...thats just one poss though...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I doubt the F&R is going bad. I put a brand new cam assembly in the F&R with all new studs. But I do think the nut the center bolt that goes through the F&R is a tad loose let me go tighten it up and test it out.

I will Be Right Back.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK everything is tight their is nothing wrong with the F&R Switch. I was thinking the red throttle wire coming from the controller to the F&R micro switch but I just made a brand new wire and replaced it so I don't think that's the problem. Maybe the power wire coming from the F&R Micro switch to the battery. I'm gonna make a new wire using a thicker grade of wire...6 gauge should make a good Connection.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check the microswitch on the throttle also.

Remember, it is the little bitty spring thingy inside the microswitch that actually close the NC contacts. Pushing the pedal just releases the lever that was holding the NC contacts open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Microswitch- 600x750 with labels.JPG (48.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmia96 View Post
OK everything is tight their is nothing wrong with the F&R Switch. I was thinking the red throttle wire coming from the controller to the F&R micro switch but I just made a brand new wire and replaced it so I don't think that's the problem. Maybe the power wire coming from the F&R Micro switch to the battery. I'm gonna make a new wire using a thicker grade of wire...6 gauge should make a good Connection.
Matt,

After re-reading your first post, I think it's possible that you might have more than one problem, so I'd troubleshoot the symptoms separately rather than guessing and shotgunning.

If the solenoid doesn't click, the problem is hidden within a few switches, a few lengths of small gauge wire and some low current connections.

If the solenoid clicks, the problem is in the heavy gauge cables, F/R switch and the rest of the high current circuit.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok I cleaned the Throttle switch and it tests ok. It seems to be fine now. I think it might have just have gotten dirt inside and was sticking so I took some electrical cleaner cleaned it out and everything seems ok.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Glad to hear you got it worked out
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Glad it's running again.

Suggest you replace that microswitch in near future. Once they gum up, they will gum up again and most likely at the most inopportune time.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That sounds like a good idea. Right now the golf cart is dead out in the field because I didn't charge it long enough. Once I tow it back with the TXT I am going to put a new resistor on the big posts of the solenoid because the other one broke.

Thanks Johnnie,

Matt

Tags
electric, ezgo, marathon, power, problem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO