lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default does charger cut off?

Just got a cart and was recharging it this afternoon. When I first plugged it in the charger jumped up to around 20 amps. An hour or so later it was down around 5 amps. I left it on a while longer (maybe 30 min), but nothing changed. Would it have eventually went to 0 and the charger cut off? I didn't want to leave it plugged in overnight while we were asleep and something go wrong since it is in my garage! :)

New to this cart thing and don't know what to expect. There was also lots of bubbling noise coming from the battery and I do believe that is normal. I just didn't expect to hear so much of it.

The batteries are Deka GC115, but I can't find a date anywhere on them. They have a grid with month and year but nothing has been punched or marked out.

Oh yeah, the cart iss 94 series and it has a powerwise charger, model number 28115 G09 manufactured in 97.
buddy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: does charger cut off?

Yes. I will usually shut off somewhere around 4 amps. Typically it will stay around 5 amps for around 3-4 hours depending on the state of charge with the batteries.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes the charger will cut off when it is done. It is important to let it finish 'leveling' the batteries at the end .... Check your water levels. Fill above the lead plates and 1/4" below the fill tube well.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Man this place rocks!! Thanks for the response guys. This is the kind of thing that keeps people coming back here!! I know for sure when I get ready to buy a new controller I will definitely buy it from a site sponsor!!

I need all the info I can get and this place has it all!!
buddy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
bigk
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

most chargers will not come on unless they sense a certain voltage coming from the main battery pack.....around 28 volts or so. They will vary from charger to charger. You can use an automotive type 12 volt charger to charge 2 six volt batteries at a time to get the voltage up enough for the golf cart charger to take over.

With an 8 volt battery system you have to use 3 batteries and a 24 volt charger. Using a 12 volt charger on a single 8 volt battery is not reccomended
bigk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Very smart to unplug the charger since you aren't familiar with the cart yet. I won't leave one plugged in over night at our shop for the same reason. I would plug it back in as soon as you make it home from work tomorrow and let it finish a charge while you are there for the first time. After this and you know everything is good, then you shouldn't have any worries on charging while gone / sleep any more

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO