lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2023, 11:37 AM   #1
LightGuy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Can I go to 48V?

Hello everyone. I have a 1990 G8 electric cart that I have had for a year and it is time to get rid of the old dying batteries and go lithium. I am seeing that people are running 36V carts at 48V and having great results and I wanted to know if I could do the same with mine. From what I can tell, the morot and controller are still the originals. I got the numbers J56-H1890-00 off of the motor.

So, does anyone know if I can go up to 48V? And would i need to change anything to go to 48V?

Thanks for any help/advice. Just want to make sure I am not going to nuke my cart.
LightGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2023, 01:12 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I go to 48V?

The series 36v motors can run on 48v. They need a 48v controller and solenoid.
Your controller may be 36/48 volt compatible. So check the label and go from there.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:32 PM   #3
LightGuy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks. I think that will be my challenge, figuring out exactly what the controller specs are. So far I can not see any information on it.
Old 03-19-2023, 04:09 PM   #4
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightGuy View Post
Hello everyone. I have a 1990 G8 electric cart that I have had for a year and it is time to get rid of the old dying batteries and go lithium. I am seeing that people are running 36V carts at 48V and having great results and I wanted to know if I could do the same with mine. From what I can tell, the morot and controller are still the originals. I got the numbers J56-H1890-00 off of the motor.

So, does anyone know if I can go up to 48V? And would i need to change anything to go to 48V?

Thanks for any help/advice. Just want to make sure I am not going to nuke my cart.
I have a 93? I think or possibly 95 g8 (stock motor silver box controller) I just converted not only to 48v but also to lithium.. As already pointed out a new controller was needed as well as a 48v solenoid with the proper resistor and diode.. I went from 14mph to 20 from the 48v conversion alone.

these are what I used for my cart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25441024844...3ABFBMsrHyut9h

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17423236414...Bk9SR5K1gLvfYQ

The controller was not plug and play, I did have to spend $20 or so to make a programming cable and used the directions from a youtube video to do so and change the setting for my throttle but if your cart has the 0-5k throttle as some do your good to go or you can buy the g22 throttle sensor which is a direct swap and 0-5k. then you will not need to change any setting with a laptop connection.

There are plenty of other options like the navitas and alltrax models which will be easier to swap in because they can be programmed with a regular usb cable. they also would have better aftersale support if purchased from someone who stands behind them like Scotty

mine has a g14 body swapped onto it as well.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188992
augiedoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:21 PM   #5
LightGuy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks! Great info!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha