lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2023, 07:55 PM   #1
mattybnc2001
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Post Cushman Truckster no start situation

Hey there everyone,

About a month ago I am happy to say I became a Cushman Truckster owner!

Off and on I have been tinkering on it getting It to work. It originally was a garrison vehicle for camp Lejeune (I'm from NC) and I bought it from a guy who said a boat company used it up until hurricane Florence.

I was able to get the engine to turn over all on its own, and I've been trying to get the cart to start. It's a 1980 model with the 22hp OMC engine. I've been working my way through the ignition, I've replaced the coils, points, and condenser. but I cannot figure out why I am not getting any spark.

Has anyone had the same issue as I have, and what was the thing that solved your issue? It should be pretty simple and might just be something that I've been overlooking.

Any help is appreciated! it is so close to firing up.
mattybnc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Cushman Truckster no start situation

If you go to www.sillylittlecars.com and click on "Manuals", then "shop manuals" in the text, there are several manuals that pertain to Cushman Trucksters and their variations in the 1980's. The "Supplement" manual contains the OMC motor information and the electrical schematics for the models of those years. My Cushman Truckster is a 1987.

The main manual contains exploded diagrams of the body sub-assemblies and is interesting, but it won't help you much, because most of these parts are now unobtainium (no longer available), unless you can find a "donor" vehicle. The "Supplement" is where the good stuff is.

Check to see if you have 12 volts on the red wire from the ignition switch connected to one terminal of one coil. The key needs to be "on" to see voltage on this wire. The coils are wired in series and need to be kept that way. Then the wire from the non jumpered terminal of the second coil connects to the points. It then connects to motor/chassis ground through the points.

If you have voltage at the red wire on the first coil, the voltage on the wire going to the points should show voltage and drop toward zero as the points close. If this is happening, but still no spark, the capacitor in the timer could be bad. Make certain that the points contacts have been freshly cleaned and are touching/breaking as the timer rotates too.

I will check back here daily to see what your progress is. I'm also in NC, 30 miles NE of Charlotte. You should also search and read my old posts on here. There is a lot of information about getting OMC engines running again. Parts are available from several sources for the engine and wear items. I can help you find what you need.

The fuel pump will likely be your next problem and the original replacement is no longer available. If you do find one NOS the rubber in it has long ago gone bad. I, and those who know, discovered this years ago. The best simple fix is to get an electric fuel pump from the local auto parts store, remove the bypass filter, but put a good inline filter between the fuel pump and the new electric fuel pump, and then connect the output of the new fuel pump directly to the carburetor. Connect the red wire to that red wire coming from the key switch to the first coil, and the black wire to a bolt in the chassis.

When you turn on the ignition, the pump should run for a few seconds to build fuel pressure. Then engage the starter and my engine will start in just a few revolutions cold, about 1/2 revolution when warm.

Remove and block open the engine heater dampers. When they go bad they will stay closed and overheat your engine. If working correctly they don't provide much heat into the cab anyway. I NC, we don't need them for motor operation, since it doesn't get that cold here.

If it hasn't been used in years, you are going to need to rebuild the carburetor. I will need to know which carburetor you have. Cushman used several on 1980's trucksters with OMC engines. Just tell me which you have for now. Pictures help identify things too.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts