lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
BigMac!
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2006 Club Car DS big block build "Sarge"

So its finally time to start a thread to document the build of "Sarge". Being my second cart build I have a firm grasp of my needs and wants for this build. First and most important, I live in a community that allows you to drive carts on the road, within the guidelines. Second, I also use it at my deer lease as a substitute for a 4 wheeler. It doesn't have to climb ravines or forge water crossings. Just get me in and out my area and haul gear and deer back to camp. My previous electric EZGO would do all of this but after a few trips around the perimeter of the lease I would need to recharge which was a hassle when your only power source is a generator. So here are my requirements as I see them.

Gas powered
25mph max (limited by street requirements)
Big block for the added power
4 seated for the family
Lifted
And what ever else I can come up with while this build happens.

Here is what I am starting with.
The clutch slipped so bad I could barely make it up my driveway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC DS stock.jpg (260.1 KB, 0 views)
BigMac! is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
BigMac!
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Club Car DS big block build "Sarge"

This project is a little farther along but not finished so I will catch y'all up. Unfortunately I lost my phone and all the progress pictures as well.

I stripped the cart down to the frame and started on the easy stuff first. I used a Jake's long travel on my last cart so I stuck with Jake's again but did not spring for the long travel. Just a basic 6 inch lift kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161008_140936.jpg (338.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
BigMac!
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I then started on the body. My last cart my brother and I did a vinyl wrap and while it was super cool I decided this one was going to be a little more rugged so I used a do it yourself bedliner called Monstaliner. It is made to roll on but I used a sprayer instead. The color is called "Sans Panties" because its supposed to be a panty dropper but I can honestly say it hasn't worked at my house. The color is also where the cart name originated from. It is very close to army green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160808_123926.jpg (323.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
BigMac!
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I then purchased a used clone engine and Vegas Carts installation kit that I found in our local Craigslist. This is where my lack of Club Car knowledge bit me in the butt. I quickly learned that because of the reverse rotation of the stock engine it was going to hamper my plans of 25mph speed. Since I was going to have to run the cart in reverse to go forward with the clone engine, it was only going to allow me to run about 15mph at best while running at a higher rpm. One of the other requirements I had was for it to be as quiet as possible and high rpm is not really quiet. I want to be able to have a conversation as well as not make a lot of noise in the woods. So I gave the clone to my brother who is collecting parts for a build and kept the clone installation kit.

My next bright idea was to try the Predator v twin. It would run at a lower rpm (quieter) with more torque for the hills at the lease. And swap the gears to 8:1 to gain a little more speed. After purchasing the v-twin I reached out to Vegas Carts to ask their advice about the build and if they were working on a new installation kit. Man I should have called them first before buying the engine (but it was on sale so I did it). They said the engine was physically too large and they decided not to pursue making a kit. But at the same time said they were sure it could be done.

At this point I decided to actually research what others have done to reach similar goals. Most modded the Kawasaki engine and could easily reach the speed goals I had set. Others bought different year models or manufacturers that wouldn't have all the problems of my cart. A smart man would have researched all this at the beginning, but I am no smart man. A man of average intelligence would have cut his losses and went back to the original motor, but I obviously am not average since I got myself in this mess. I decided to try and push forward since I had the clone installation kit and it has the same engine bolt pattern as the v-twin. So I test fit the engine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160925_113239.jpg (256.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Keep the updates coming. I love watching these kind of builds.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
BigMac!
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

For cost savings I decided to keep the 12" rims that came with the cart and bought new tires. They are EFX Hammer tires in 23x9.5x12. I really liked the thread pattern and as a bonus they are DOT approved which isn't a requirement of our street laws but I figured they would run more true then previous all terrain tires I have had on my cart. I also picked up a front bumper from Grizzly Metal Works. I loved the look and it had a receiver mount built in so adding different carriers to the front is easy. The LED light bar was just mocked up but it sure did fit nice. I already had this from my last cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170503_162214.jpg (270.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
BigMac!
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

As you can see by the pic above the engine was sticking out above the seat mount 4 inches or so. That was the height of the engine sitting on the VC (Vegas Carts) engine mount as it was designed. I knew I wanted to use the VC engine mount because it was designed with forward, back, left and right adjustability. So I busted out the saws all and cut off wheel. Basically I cut a big rectangle out of the factory CC engine mount bracket slightly larger than the VC engine mount plate. Welding these two plates together allowed the engine to sit lower in the engine cradle and still have the full adjustability of the VC engine mount. Unfortunately mounting the engine lower in the cradle was still not low enough to gain the clearance I needed. I then added 2.5inches to the front cradle mount. Since the 6 inch lift was going to angle the engine/axle down from the front mount I was able to make that addition which reduced the angle and gained 2.5" of clearance. This picture shows what I ended up with and the clearance I gained.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170407_161654.jpg (241.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170409_134914.jpg (192.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170409_134532.jpg (348.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Nice work so far Mac!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Nice! Question: How do you like the Monstaliner, looking at it also.
What prep for it?
How much did you use for the body, I see that you spayed it.

Thanks, Flintrock
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #10
BigMac!
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
Nice! Question: How do you like the Monstaliner, looking at it also.
I really like it. I am using it on another project and liked it enough to use it on the cart.
Quote:
What prep for it?
Just a light scuff with a scotch bright pad is all you need.

Quote:
How much did you use for the body, I see that you spayed it.
3 quarts is enough to do the both body pieces and the top but it is cheaper to buy the gallon kit than 3 quarts so lay it on thick. Or coat something else if you want.
Quote:
Thanks, Flintrock
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides