lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
CokeZero
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Post I'm new to the world of carts, I need some advice from experienced mentors

Well it all started when my neighbor bought a cart from a guy down the street for $40. He replaced the batteries and drives it around everywhere now. That got me on a kick to get a golf cart myself. (I didn't know at that time how much they actually costed!)

So I drove an hour out to get a deal on a gas cart (I didnt know if an electric or gas was better but always heard people preferred gas because of them being faster) After I seen it in the light today the tag says its a 95 Medalist which is 36v. But the cart I have is gas. I think they converted it from electric to gas.

The cart runs great, my future plans are for a lift (Which is better? Block lift or drop axle?) wheels and tires (How do I find the bolt pattern for the wheels I need?) light kits, rear seats and a radio.

The cart takes off slow but has decent top end. I think its one of those harbor freight motors. I would like more torque + top end. Is there a better motor that will bolt right in?

Also I used to have lowriders and we had a street charger wired in (it keeps charging your batteries as you drive) is there anything like that for a golf cart? Because I would like to run the radio and lights as much as I like and have the cart running charge them back up. (so that I dont have to charge the 12v battery everytime before I take it out)

Now I'm not sure what all comes stock on these carts but as far as the wiring what should be there? does is have a factory light switch? 12v output?
CokeZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: I'm new to the world of carts, I need some advice from experienced mentors

Your questions can not be answered with out more info!

1st you need to find out what you have! engine, charging system, drive system!

There are to many possibilities with current info.

But one thing for sure! If it takes off slow now and you put larger tires on it, it may not take off at all!

take some pic's the guys on here are pretty good about tell you what you have.

Good luck
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
CokeZero
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: I'm new to the world of carts, I need some advice from experienced mentors

The guy I got it from said all I would have to do is replace the clutch to get more torque. I dont mind replacing the engine but I would like some thing that is a straight swap to its current setup.

It doesnt have anything for batteries or a charging system currently. Starting from scratch I plan to get a 12v deep cycle and need to find some way to get it to charge.

Looks like they put a predator engine on it with a honda starter. or a honda engine with a predator gas tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00N0N_hPXOfWfkphm_1200x900.jpg (167.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 00u0u_cFd28kbBtMI_1200x900.jpg (79.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg plate.jpg (204.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gce1.jpg (205.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gce2.jpg (204.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well,

Who ever done this cart took the easy and cheapest way out.
Your correct, the HF engine has no charging system.
That go-cart/mini bike clutch will not work. I have seen guys try!
They took the electric rear end and put a gear on it. The only thing that may help you is to put a larger gear on the rear end. That will help it come out of the hole better and be easier on the clutch. But will also decrease your top end.

As for the battery, if you stay with this set up. look at the battery's AH, That is amp/hour rating. That is the amount of amps for that many min's you can pull from the batt. with out being charged.

Changing this cart to be correct and operate as it should would involve many $$$$ and time and the cart is just not worth it. Sorry just stating the truth.

Just play with it. I would not put much $$ in it.

Good Luck! Again sorry to be the barer of bad news.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
CokeZero
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Is there an engine that has a alternator or stater built in that I can swap in? I got a good deal on it so I dont mind making into what I want

What about going to a 22hp version of it?

My end goal is something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_26315.jpg (171.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 00000_gMLctFwAfR7_1200x900.jpg (112.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Anything can be done if you want to put the time and money in it. However, I think Gearhead1956 has given you some good advice. Even better after seeing what you want to turn that thing into. Get a stock cart with a solid frame and running gear, gas or electric, go from there. You will be way ahead in terms of money and aggravation as opposed to using what you have. Just my humble opinion.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #7
CokeZero
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Looks like the 22HP predator is a pretty beastly motor and puts of 7amp of charge. You can also add a honda shaft and an alternator. I may swap that beast in.

As far as the lift do I need to buy it for a electric cart? Which is better? block or drop axle lift?
Old 04-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Go look thru the big block section on here!

There is a lot more to it then just dropping in an engine!

The engine is the easy part! Your putting the cart in front of the horse

Getting it hooked to the rear end in a way that works well is the issue. You will really will need good clutches and a 4 stroke rear end and some sort of swing arm set up. All of witch will cost more then the engine.
Engine, $699 HF
Clutches $400-600
Rear end $400 ?
find or build swing arm ?
Battery $100
To get your cart to look like the one in the pic, you will spend $4000-5000 and then you will still have an old cart.
Then the engineering comes in!!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Tell you what, If you really want to build that cart you pictured. Don't know where in Fl. you are, Im in Atl.

I have a 2007 Yamaha, that was electric.
Has body, needs paint, seat, top. I have a Yamaha 4 stroke rear end with clutch and a Yamaha swing arm, wheels and tires, brakes.
I would let you have it for $400, The rear end is worth that much.

It will still take time and $$$ to build but when your done you would have a 2007 cart on a better foundation! I was not looking to sell, but this would be a much better place to start!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
CokeZero
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I'm in Panama City.

That looks like a great offer! However I've been posting other places and getting a gas rear and this kit seems like the easiest route https://www.vegascarts.com/v-twin-bi...eztxtkit-v.htm

Tags
cart, electric, gas, golf, motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO